Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 09:50 PM

Default In Hold\'em, do you want many players with Kxs or few?

Hi. In Texas Hold'em. If one has Kx suited in late position, should one prefer to play with few players in the pot, or many players in the pot? I'm guessing many, because you are playing for a big payoff with a flush. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: In Hold\'em, do you want many players with Kxs or few?

Kx suited is probably a fold 90% of the time. I think you will find that it is a money losing hand. You have to understand that you are drawing to a flush that is not even the nut flush. If you make top pair, you have kicker trouble. You will be better off in the long run if you fold this pre-flop. This hand is much more playable in the blinds, but still should be treated with caution.

This is nowhere near a solid statistical sample, but here are my results with Kxs outside of the blinds. The numbers show win%, times dealt, and % of time I voluntarily put money in the pot. (12,000 hands of Party 15/30) Remember, these do not include the blinds:

AKs = 63% - 18 - 97%
KQs = 38% - 18 - 92%
KJs = 25% - 27 - 81%
KTs = 36% - 33 - 93%
K9s = 0% - 24 - 16%
K8s = 2% - 34 - 8%
K7s thru K2s - never played outside of the blinds

As you can see, I have been too loose with this hand, and it is making other people a lot of money.

There had better be an extremely compelling reason to play this hand outside of the blinds. Ax suited shares a lot of the same problems, and also tends to be highly overrated.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 PM

If I am in late position, let's say the cutoff, I would prefer either that every player has limped in, or nobody has. The closer you get to the middle the more likely I am to fold.

-Michael
Old 07-10-2004, 03:50 PM

sully, how did you go about getting your stats like that? i need to monitor my playing like that to be more successful.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:32 PM

It's a program called PokerTracker. If you are serious about becoming a good player, you really have to have it. I promise you it will be the best $55 you spend on online poker. You can try it out for free at pokertracker.com.

If you want more information, just do a search for PokerTracker on the forums.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:55 PM

Hi Sully, how do I not voluntarily put money in the pot outside the blinds? Anyway, great analysis. Geez, the win really drops off when the kicker isn't painted. Not sure what to conclude yet though. I was thinking that Axs and Kxs might either be good heads up or in a family pot, but not with an intermediate number of callers...similar to small pocket pairs. The idea being that short handed a high card or paired A or K might win...and in the family pot you might get the odds to chase the flush. But in the middle you don't gt the odds...and might be up against better hands while not getting the pot odds. Let me know if that seems correct to you or why not as I'm admittedly still a very weak HE theorist!
Old 07-12-2004, 06:08 PM

It comes after AXs and 22 and you view it the same; generally you want to be heads up (in case you play it) or vs. many opponents, though in specific situations I would prefer to be vs. two opponents with hands like AXs, KXs, 22 or T9 rather than vs. three opponents as it gets hard vs. three opponents, while there are plenty spots where one wins with semi-garbage in three way pots.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 PM

Hi Lunamondo, seems we're establishing that some hands have dual personalities. They are good heads up or in family pots. So it seems the range of two, three, sand maybe four callers requires a different kind of hand to be profitable. Would this be the forte of large pocket pairs. Maybe some other hands, perhaps painted-suited?