Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Error No. 1: Raising preflop

Rolf at Card Player.com:

Error No. 1: Raising preflop from the button with what appears to be the best hand.

--

In this case it was AJ vs. three more or less average limpers.

My view is that three limpers to me on the button is not a field to me yet (especially if I raise) and I am going to raise with my best hand when I have position plus I am raising one to three more or less average players, or basically anyone when I have the best hand often enough.

Limit holdem is a small percentage game and all you often win is what you make the blinds pay, plus the limpers will now all together put there three more "small" bets; all together that and the blinds either paying more money or leaving dead money there, is a lot of money.

With a big pot some opponents might then make less (and more) costing calls later, that plus leaking information are arguments for not raising. You (think) want someone leading at you, that's perhaps good (perhaps not), and the other reason is not bad either, so not raising has merits, it's not a sucker play, but I don't think this case is the case.

If it's more close then not raising three or even less limpers with a (marginal) hand is in my opinion a good play, but the more one's hand is better the more reason there is for raising, and this is the case together with there not yet being a big (loose) field, so I don't see this case is on the premium marginal category.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:04 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Error No. 1: Raising preflop

if average means average as far as these these days, and not average ability, then you should raise. but if 3 players of average ability, in that they're tight and play reasonably well, but too tight and passive or a little too loose and aggressive, limp then your hand might not be best, and if it is, the margin will be small.