Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: when to limp late in tournament?

bump (one time only if this really isn't an interesting topic)
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 PM

You don't have a big enough stack to play this hand for set value because 1. not all sets = double ups, people fold and people outdraw 2. your stack size is too small. Your stack is a tad too big for all in preflop. So, I'd lean toward a fold.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:18 PM

One awful limper and its folded to you in MP+2, and you actually lay down sixes? How many out there can actually say that they would make this play? I think this is extremely weak, considering the possibilities with the hand, and your probable excellent position assuming there's no raise preflop (I know that's a big assumption).

You're M is a little over 10 (read HOH), and at this point you can speculate a little and play a little more postflop poker and not just try to shove it all in preflop. Let's actually try to play a hand and not just look for quick all in double ups with coin flips.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 PM

It depends on how "awful" the limper is and how he plays postflop IMO. He may be the worst player in the world and have limped with 72 offsuit, but if you can't get him off a K 7 3 flop, what's the point? I will only limp in this situation if the players in front of me are passive and easy to steal from postflop. Playing for a set right here is a waste of chips.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Hi BakingAce.

If you read my above comments, you will see that I believe that this hand not only has value when it hits the set, but also when it doesn't and its checked to you. Yes I may not get him off of 72 if he hit a pair, but what about the 2/3 of times he doesn't hit a pair? He's awful, but he will lay down a completely whiffed flop. Again, to try and pick up this pot postflop, i'm not crippling myself.

Also how bout the times he has 72 and the flop comes K82, and I actually am ahead? Obviously I'm not putting another cent in the pot if i get called, but who knows, maybe it will be checked down (he is awful).
Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 PM

If your read is that you can easily outplay him postflop, then by all means limp the 66. My point is that a C-bet of 4k, lets say, commits quite a bit of your stack and that making this bet versus a calling station could be -ev.

What, out of curiosity, do you think his range is for limping? Any two playable cards? If your read is such then I do not mind the play one bit.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM

Hey BakingAce

This is exactly my read. Any two playable cards. Could be Q10o, could be 76s. Any hand that has a category number associated with it in HFAP is what he has (minus the 1st two categories because i don't think he's clever enough to limp with aces-jacks).
Old 12-01-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see an argument for limping or folding. In no way do I see an argument for a push. Too many people left to act, including the original limper. Remember everyone else has their eye on the prize also and when all fold to original limper, he may just look you up with pocket 8's, hoping he is in a race with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree -- with a 15x stack, you should not be raising with 66 in MP, even after one limper.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You're M is a little over 10 (read HOH), and at this point you can speculate a little and play a little more postflop poker and not just try to shove it all in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The M is exactly 10 if I didn't get the original post wrong. If you have read HOH you should know that Harrington says small pairs become unplayable when you're in the yellow or orange zone. You simply won't get the implied odds you need to make the play correct.