Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

The bankroll management stuff was obvious, I thought, perhaps, he was referring to how you're playing your hands and players. Perhaps tilt could be factored into poker maturity as well.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:04 PM

I didnt want to waste my time or anyone elses with boring 2 outers all in on the flop. This was bad luck, not tilt.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:12 PM

I dont know about everyone else, but if I lost 30k, no matter how hard I tried I would at least be slightly on tilt.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know I can beat this game. I did it for 3 months prior to this, and I did not feel i was running exceptionally well.

[/ QUOTE ]

people that beat limit hold'em for 14BB/100 over their first 10k hands don't feel they're running exceptionally well either.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 AM

I think it's pretty ridiculous how so many of the 'big name' players on 2+2 advocate taking shots, but then when someone posts about a shot gone wrong, everyone scolds him for not playing within his bankroll. Sure the OP may be a little arrogant in his post and doesn't know how long the actual long run is, but it sounds like he does know how to play a decent game.

whatever, i gotta go to class.

-DrG
Old 11-16-2005, 10:40 AM

The diffrence between taking a shot and playing above your bankroll is that after the shot fails you move back to previous level with sufficient bankroll and when youre playing above your bankroll you dont.
Losing 30k from 40k bankroll wasnt a shot in my opinion...
Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The diffrence between taking a shot and playing above your bankroll is that after the shot fails you move back to previous level with sufficient bankroll and when youre playing above your bankroll you dont.
Losing 30k from 40k bankroll wasnt a shot in my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. It was a gamble. And he lost. His current poker bankroll is now around the size of mine, and I make a decent amount of rent/spending money playing the $50 and $100 nl's on that size roll, (3k) so I don't really see what the problem is. He can build it back, he needs to take some time off probably, but he can build it back.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:41 PM

in regards to the OP, you are probably losing b/c I just started multitabling the party 10/20 NL...watch out jerks I'm on the loose.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty ridiculous how so many of the 'big name' players on 2+2 advocate taking shots, but then when someone posts about a shot gone wrong, everyone scolds him for not playing within his bankroll. Sure the OP may be a little arrogant in his post and doesn't know how long the actual long run is, but it sounds like he does know how to play a decent game.

-DrG

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the people who scold others for taking shots will play more hundreds of thousands of hands at 3/6 or below before ever settling in at a higher limit, all the while bitching to eachother about the horrible play at higher limits and how they could crush those limits if they just had the bankroll. They don't understand the idea of calculated risk, but they are not nearly as bad as the other end of the spectrum.

That said, the OP isn't describing the behavior of one "taking a shot." The dude dumped 4/5 of his bankroll. This is not responsible shot taking and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of variance. He believes he has proven that he has an edge in a game in which he has lost money overall. Taking shots is one thing, but hopelessly spraying chips hoping for positive variance is blackjack. It doesn't matter what order the money comes and goes, it only matters how much is left at the end of the day.
-James
Old 11-16-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-DrG

[/ QUOTE ]

I've figured it out.

The "big name" posters that play higher limits want us to take shots so they can take our money when we jump up there with our inferior skills.

The Pyramid at work.