Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 03:32 AM

Default QQ facing a PF 3-bet

Not a great read on SB, 20 hands about a 60VPIP/.5agg. I think he has AA/KK/AK/JJ. Doubt the 3bet w/ JJ from what I saw, he called w/ TT once before. Is this a good call down and river fold?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 02-01-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: QQ facing a PF 3-bet

perfect. I sometimes make a sanity/information/tilt call but I don't know if I can tell you that folding is definitively wrong.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:59 AM

I think you absolutely have to raise his flop bet.

First of all, you're the one doing the capping. Personally, I have more hands that I would 3-bet with than cap. For instance, in this situation I would definitely 3-bet your raise with something like AK, but would be less inclined to cap with it.

He could have you dominated, or he could be the one fearing your cap. This is why you have to raise him on the flop. Maybe he didn't want to see you cap it.

Raise him on the flop. If he 3-bets, you can consider dumping the hand. If he smooth calls your raise then checks to you on the turn, punish him for the rest of the hand as he probably has something like AK (unless you get check-raised, then you're probably in a world of hurt).

Smooth calling all the way only to dump the hand at the end is way too weak tight (though I don't totally hate the dump at the end because when the A comes his range of hands that you can beat is pretty slim) (though it still might be worth paying off one more bet) (because by not raising on the flop you have little clue as to what he has) (he could easily have JJ and figure it to be good because you never raised him) (though in that case he might have slowed down on the river when the A came) (I think I'm using too many parentheses).

Raise him on the flop. Go from there. Risking an extra small bet or two on the flop can often save you many down the road.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:33 AM

You are the kind of passive player i like to have in a 1/2 table. A stupid bluff that costs $2 on the river and he's out leaving me a nice pot. This sort of passive play is the worst style for these stakes. I have no idea about higher stakes...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:35 AM

how sure are you that SB is bluffing?

FWIW I think hero caught the worst river card possible.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:09 AM

He probably did, but he may not have even gotten that far if he had bet that flop. If this guy has AK he isn't going to cap that flop. If he does, he's likely to have AA/KK or maybe a comedy QQ. Then you can ditch it on the turn if you feel you are beaten, and save yourself 1.5 BB. But if he has AK he is calling the raise, then likely folding on the turn when he doesn't improve, and probably grumbling a bit about how it isn't worth raising preflop when idiots will play with garbage like 56s.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:24 AM

Okay I'm sorry. I'm capping this flop 110% of the time. From there, you can see how it goes, but this guy is 60% VP$IP? What's his PFR? And we do have to remember this is only 20 hands. Even against a TAG, there is no way I'm folding this river for 1 bet, and I'm sure as hell at least raising his flop bet.

You are playing FAR too passively!