Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 AM

Default PokerStars $50+5 SNG, how should I play AKs?

I welcome feedback from all SNG players or any tournament experts who wish to weigh in.

Five players left, top three get paid.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

Button (t1015)
SB (t5560)
Hero (t4240)
UTG (t845)
MP (t1840)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t1840</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t1765, Hero folds.

Flop: (t3830) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t3830) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3830) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3830

My reasons for folding were:

1. There are two short stacks left, which allows me to make greater use of my big stack by stealing everyone's blinds.
2. The players were playing reasonably tight, since it was close to the bubble, and I thought it was likely that I was up againnst a pair, which makes me an overall underdog to win the hand.
3. The other player in the hand was the big stack, the only player who could bust me.

Hand Quiz #48 in TPFAP presents a situation with some similarites to mine; I would appreciate feedback on whether my situation was close enough to make folding correct as it is in the hand quiz.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: PokerStars $50+5 SNG, how should I play AKs?

I don't mind this fold. If SB doesn't call, you need to.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:18 AM

Standard fold.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 AM

I think it's absolutely fine. MP should have some kind of hand to be pushing 12bb from there, and the SB's smooth call just seems like he wants to entice you in. He's also the only stack that can bust you.. you also have 30bb? Yeah.. let it go.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:14 AM

I apologize, I messed up the hand converter so it didn't show the opposing playrs hands. The all in player had TT with a spade, and the SB had AJo. Do these holdings validate my decision to fold? More importantly, what holdings of theirs would make it more profitable for me to play the hand, either for a call or a reraise all in? Also any additional feedback would be appreciated on how to play in this situation without knowing their cards.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:13 AM

You made a good mistake by not showing their hands. You gain a lot more from a discussion without knowing their cards. Afterall, during the game you won't know their cards.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 AM

I think folding is correct here - SB has you covered, let them sort this out.

But I'm afraid I would have called in the heat of the moment. But that's because I'm not really that good (yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )