Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: \"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if you could find an atheist that could be offended by a holiday greeting, they have a predisposition to common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am offended by Merry Christmas, not a generic Holiday greeting. Also offended by 'in God we trust' and 'one nation under God'. It implies that I believe in God which I find very insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow some balls.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that the OED has recently started including "moreso". Unfortunately, I don't have a copy to verify that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's way down under "more"

f. With ellipsis of the word or sentence modified. Now freq. with anaphoric so (see SO adv. 4a) in more so (also, chiefly U.S., moreso). (all) the more: the rather, the more so (as, because, etc.).
Old 12-20-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"If you are serious then I would have responded that there is no god and that would have really gotten things started."

Definitely, because I usually respond with something to the effect: "There is no God? Good. No one can save you now!" And proceed with a sucker punch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sucker punch someone because they start a conversation about god? By the way, the last guy that tried to sucker punch me ended up in the hospital (don't miss).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a ninja?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if you could find an atheist that could be offended by a holiday greeting, they have a predisposition to common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am offended by Merry Christmas, not a generic Holiday greeting. Also offended by 'in God we trust' and 'one nation under God'. It implies that I believe in God which I find very insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow some balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you offended by anything?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone wishes me 'Merry Christmas' I tell them I don't celebrate Christmas. If someone wishes me 'Happy Holidays' I say thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does everything have to be a statement Ayn Rand? Can't you just accept that someone was wishing good to you and leave it at that?
You must be a blast to hang around with.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone wishes me 'Merry Christmas' I tell them I don't celebrate Christmas. If someone wishes me 'Happy Holidays' I say thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does everything have to be a statement Ayn Rand? Can't you just accept that someone was wishing good to you and leave it at that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I interpreted 'Merry Christmas' to mean hope you like to share with others then I would have no problem. But to me it means the celebration of a figure that I do not believe in. If you want to totally commercialize Christmas and take out any religious connotations then I guess you would have a point. But, that is not the way it is meant now.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I interpreted 'Merry Christmas' to mean hope you like to share with others then I would have no problem. But to me it means the celebration of a figure that I do not believe in. If you want to totally commercialize Christmas and take out any religious connotations then I guess you would have a point. But, that is not the way it is meant now.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I understand that, that wasn't my point.
If you sneeze and a little old lady says "God Bless You" do you bow up and get in her face?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See, I understand that, that wasn't my point.
If you sneeze and a little old lady says "God Bless You" do you bow up and get in her face?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be perfectly honest - none of my friends say that to me because I do say something. I ask them what do you mean 'bless me'? Are you a priest or something? Everyone who knows me says Gesundheit (good health). Much more appropriate.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not subtle when my mom isn't allowed to put a Christmas decoration on her desk (Hunakkah and Kwanza are ok though, the bank can't get sued for those).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, the bank doesn't (or shouldn't) have the right to dictate what can or cannot be displayed on their property?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM

Oh, feeling insecure during Christmas time, eh Atheist? No reason to celebrate, no spiritual joy to partake of. Ha ha, how lonely and sad.