Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Default A Heads-Up Hand - Standard?

Playing some 10-20 stud this afternoon on Party, heads up. My opponent seems somewhat too prone to fold and passive for this environment (but is also raising a little light on 3rd as expected). Then this hand went down:

I bring it in with the (J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. My opponent raises with the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I decide to go ahead and reraise. He calls.

4th Street

Villian: (x,x) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero: (J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My opponent checks and calls my bet.

5th Street

Villian: (x,x) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero: (J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

My opponent bet and I raised. Standard? Please note that I probably suck at heads up stud.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: A Heads-Up Hand - Standard?

Well, what's the reason for the raise? Do you think you're still ahead at this point? Do you think he's capable of laying down the hand before the river UI if you keep firing at him?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:49 PM

I don't like it. I might if you had a pair.

He could be just betting his board but I'd say there's a decent chance he has a heart in the hole and isn't going anywhere before the river.

An interesting play would be to raise the river.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:34 PM

I like it if you think there is a good chance that you might be able to take a free card on sixth. I'm not sure if we know enough about the villain to say how often this will work.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:11 PM

I would like this hand a whole lot more if you didn't describe the villian as tight passive.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 PM

I would like this more if the other guy didn't have three hearts showing. If he three-bets, what are you going to do? If his three-bet means "flush," I think you may just have a fold. A made flush by him is probably bigger than the one you're drawing to. Are you folding? Are you calling and hoping to get hit between the eyes? If you hit your Jack-high flush, how hard are you going to push it? I realize that maintaining the initiative is important in a heads-up battle, but if you try to seize it every hand, you're going to get yourself into trouble. At least, I always do. I think a call is better in this particular spot.

Of course, heads-up stud isn't my thing either.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Default RESULTS, THOUGHTS

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually surprised more people didn't like my raise (but as I said, I don't play much heads up stud). Basically, I feel like this: I have a gutshot and a 4-flush - if there is ANY chance my raise will either get my opponent to fold or give me a free walk to the river, it's worth it. Obviously, I can hit also.

As for Andy's comment, I don't see a made flush on the part of my opponent as likely as a 4-flush would bet 4th most likely in a heads up spot where he has my board beat also. When my opponent bets 5th, I'm guessing he either has 4 hearts or just decided now to bet his pair of tens w/ scary board. Or maybe he has something like 99 buried. Or whatever, maybe he has me beat. I like raising here personally but can see the other arguments.

As for the results, my opponent folded to my raise. So that's that then. More comments welcome.

Jeff

P.S. I'll be away from the board this week playing poker in Las Vegas. I'll probably hit mostly 30-60 hold em and some 50-100 stud at Bellagio...I'm the mid 20's white guy prob with a button down/jeans thing going if anyone's around. Happy Holidays and have a safe and happy new year if I don't talk to you before then.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: RESULTS, THOUGHTS

What's the 50/100 stud like at the Bellagio?

Michael
Old 12-25-2005, 12:55 AM

I'll tell you when I get back. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Hopefully it will be like my beloved 75 stud at the Taj Mahal.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2005, 01:11 AM

I look forward to the trip report!

Michael