Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Get a coach. Be a coach. Coaching exchange thread.

Feeling frustrated, confused or angry?

Are you a clueless bastard?

Do you think you play the game "correctly" but always seem to lose hand after hand after hand to mind numbing suckouts?

Are you pretty good thanks to 2+2 and feel a wealth of charity and now want to give a little back?

Are you God's gift to poker and want to pass along your knowledge before you lose your grasp of the mortal coil that is your existance?

Well here is the thread for you!

Many of us play online in dingy basements or smelly garages alone, scared and in need of a friend. A select few of us just need a witness to our greatness! Well here is your way to connect.

While posting here at 2+2 and reading books is still a great way to learn and should be modus operendi #1 for everybody, coaching and buddying-up can be an incredible way to expand your talents very rapidly.

[ QUOTE ]

You need to a coach or at least a buddy to watch you play. Your confidence is in the toilet and you have a loser's mentality.

I had a very similar experience when I 1st started playing 6-max. I was a solid full-ring player at micros but at 6-max it seemed I was playing better than my opponents but somehow I was getting creamed all the time. The suckouts were unimagineably common and painful. After a while it affected my play in ways I didn't realize.

I finally got the nerve to ask for real live help and some of the micro regulars who were good or better at 6-max agreed to look at some hand session histories and sweat me while I played for free. I would open a table and my coach would sit at a different table and we would open each other's tables and watch each other play. Whenever I had a decision to make I would tell my hole cards to my coach on AIM.

Since we were both one or two tabling we had plenty of time to chat about each others hands. No collusion mind you just coaching. This helped me and I believe my coaches (who were not charging me anything and were not the best players either but just solid proven winners) immeasurably.

For one it helped because they were able to catch what I was doing wrong but it helped to watch how a successful player plays a session. It also helped my subtle form of tilt that occurs when you lose. Having a witness/ cheering section to my session made the losses hurt less. Sort of like having a shoulder to cry on or at least someone to share the anger with really helps.

I highly recommend finding an established winning player to do this for you. Start participating in the micro forum and you'll surely find more than a few willing coaches to sweat you and you might make some friends along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This quote was a post from your's truly in another thread and perfectly sums up what I am suggesting all you guys should do.

There are some rules though that we all need to agree on!

1. No collusion! Do not sit at each other's table and share hole cards. You might get busted and that would really suck. Besides cheating is just plain bad mojo and the poker Gods will get you.

2. No cheating! Someone will be sharing their hole cards with you because they are trying to help you or because they are looking for help. Do not abuse this trust by sitting at their tables with an account that they do not recognize is yours. Remember what I said about the POKER GODS! I seriously recommend only agreeing to do this with posters who have contributed in this forum for a while as that newbie/"long time lurker" with 10 posts might be a scammer who you cannot trust. This is part of the reason why both players playing at the same time is a good idea as it's harder to do this if you know the other guys screename and can see he's playing too and not at your table. BTW picking a site that has only one conduit a la party poker or pokerstars is probably a good idea as opposed to using the skins where someone can login on two screennames from the same computer very easily.

3. Chat on AIM or some other service other than the table's chat box. If you can't figure out why then you are a moran. (ie getting in game advice might not actually be OK according to a sites rules and so keeping this coaching low key is a very good idea)

4. If you post in this thread just tell people to PM you at 2+2. We have enough threads where everyone's sharing their AIM names for all to see and well this aint one of them. Just say "Hey I'm playing tonight at such and such a time. PM me if you can sweat me." Or "Hey I GOD's GIFT to POKER can sweat you if you'd like tonight just send me a PM". Link up that way and be gone from this thread. That way no one has to publicly announce who they are helping out or being helped by and all will be well in micro land.

4. Feel free to share your coaching experiences in this thread as a nice little shout out/ bump to your pupil/ coach. Nothing says "Thank You" like a post in this thread that says "Thank you"!

Feel free to link to this thread when you see someone struggling or bump it up now and then if you agree with me.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Get a coach. Be a coach. Coaching exchange thread.

tiltaholic and I watch each other pretty much every day. It makes it more enjoyable and will really help your game. Also, it can help with tilt when somebody's watching you. My real enjoyment comes from watching a 70/15 suck out on him, and convincing his gf that he's a pedophile. Seriously though, it will really help your game if you can discuss hands in real time. I would be open to doing this with somebody else periodically. PM me, blah, blah.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM

yea, this sounds like a good idea, I would be willing to do it sometime. There was a post about coaching in mhsh, I was going to get one of them to coach me, but I think this will be helpful for a lot of people, myself included.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, this sounds like a good idea, I would be willing to do it sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG!! I said SEND A PM n00b. OMG WTF!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
There was a post about coaching in mhsh, I was going to get one of them to coach me, but I think this will be helpful for a lot of people, myself included.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Many of them won't be too keen on coaching Micro players and their game is way different
2. For most Micro players, $100+/hour is really steep in terms of BB.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 PM

I'm totally interested in doing this. I would actually rather do this with another newb to work the kinks out before i waste a good player's time, and because i'm unbelievably poor at online play.

So if you think my advice is worth anything and don't mind doing this over full ring (i'm not ready to show anyone my 6max playing yet), preferably on party, PM me.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm totally interested in doing this. I would actually rather do this with another newb to work the kinks out before i waste a good player's time, and because i'm unbelievably poor at online play.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaxup should be perfect for you.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Many of them won't be too keen on coaching Micro players and their game is way different
2. For most Micro players, $100+/hour is really steep in terms of BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, I meant the micro coaching thing is a good idea, not the mhsh coaching thing. Geez, I do feel like a noob today.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM

This makes me think we need a sweating thread. Maybe this can be that thread.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:57 PM

I'd love to have a decent player sweat me for a session or two, I'm sure 'm making some basic errors that I'm not spotting for myself!

Mat
Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jaxup should be perfect for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing!