Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Only what you can carry

The fire alarm went off last night in my building. For those of you who dont take fire alarms seriously, Id say you didnt grow up with a firefighter in your family. Since I live in a loft apartment on the 5th floor, getting out of there quickly is even more important. In the immediate moments following waking up to a blaring alarm like this and trying to throw pants on, I start thinking what should I take with me...I wouldnt be able to make 2 trips, only what i can carry and gather in under a minute.
I thought obviously I need to grab my 2 cats. But then I thought about all the important documents I have that are irreplacable or would just be very difficult to regain. Then I thought about family heirlooms, and my laptop even crossed my mind. I ended up just scooping my cats up 1 in each hand and getting out.
Obviously it ended up being not a serious fire, it was under control in no time.
What would you save if you only had a minute and what you could personally carry?

MDoranD
Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Only what you can carry

My external HDD.

I keep all my important data on an external drive (and all my super important data backed up in other places).

I would grab this drive and this is about all I would be worried about.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:18 AM

reminds me, i gotta start backing my [censored] up onto DVDs.. way to manyn pictures and stuff on my computer that i'd be really pissed if i lost. i'd probably take my DVD's (the backups, that will be made shortly) and i guess anything else i saw on the way out.
Oh, and a box full of random this that i keep. That and the stuff on my computer is the only stuff really that can't be replaceed w/ money.

Oh, and some photo albums i have.

So, DVD's, Box of [censored], Photo albums.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:31 AM

I'd open the safe and grab the folio dealy with important documents like my passport, car titles, and some valuable certificates. I'd toss the cash stored in the safe into the folio dealy. That's a couple grand of emergency money. I'd grab the laptops if I could and my cell phone.

I live in a house, so I'd get the dog out and cats if they were around.

It really depends on how much time I have. My wife's jewelry would be high on the list if I had the time. Just grab the big damn jewel box.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 AM

don't you have a fire safety box? That would be the best way to protect your documents and other [censored].

Melch
Old 10-27-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Photo albums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have approx ~ 2000 photos that money would not be able to replace....that and a few dvd's...

Everything else can be replaced....
Old 10-27-2005, 11:19 AM

CD Book, cash and laptop.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 AM

I'd grab my wallet, cellphone, keys and maybe a jacket. I'd also probably wear the sweater my mom knit for me.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 AM

Probably the home movies and photos. Heck, I might even bring the kids, too.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 AM

The cat. Everything else is replaceable. If you have pets I don't think you should even consider taking anything else out of the house. Just assume your pets will be hiding somewhere and you'll need all the time you have just to find them. Prepare for this eventuality by keeping photocopies of all important documents at another location (safety deposit box comes to mind) or in a fireproof safe in the house. Personally, I think keeping copies offsite is the better way to disaster management.