Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 10:12 AM

Default This is a hand I screw up frequently( semilong)

I consider this on of my largest flaws and leak in mtt play

AQ and AJ from EP or LP, when stack is 20bb or larger, but not DEEP. With the field reduced to about 30% and I get a call or call from LP same sized stack or larger( and no condfident read yet, appart from when I call LP I usually do so against opponents who seems abit liberated about opening standards or to thight and not so agressive)and its HU.The tourney is usually getting into middle or later stages( blinds usually 200/400 +, ) I need to have shown down a few good hands from similar pos to play these hands

AQ from EP( I vary my play, but 70% of the time I bring it in for 3-4xbb, hoping to steal)

Then on Flopps of roughly this texture(With AQ)
A-(J-8)-small card, I lead with roughly a 1/2 pot sized bet( should one favour probe bets more say 1/3, making it easier to leave the hand?)

Scenario 1. Opponent just calls-leaving a range of A-x where x is worse kicker most the time, second or third pair,
two pairs with or without the A(less likely without the A), set or some pp he wants to peel with.

If the turn then offers no improvement, how do u attack the next betting round( I know it DEPENDS), Will u let go of the command? If so, how do u respond to a bet from opponent in the range of 1/3 pot size, 1/2 pot size, pot sized or larger, all inn?( Or are u already done with the hand)Will u keep the command and if so with what kind of action? As most bets of substance will near commit u, and anything else reaks of weakness. How will u take on the hand is u spike two pairs on the flopp, but still are raised?

Scenario 2. Same kind a flopp, but opponent raises u in the range of 2/3potsize or larger? Range would be defined as above, again it depends of course.. Opponent could have u on PP and wants to bet with or without the A, how will u respond to different sized bets?

I dont like pushing with this hand pre or post flopp, unless I am shortstacked-but might as well since I appear to marry the hand to often.

LP: And this is probably connected with my EP problem

I will take a shot at the pot if an A hits( and I think many will) and my kicker is decent when in LP or even if I dont hold an A, since it will be a difficult decision for the bettor unless he has a monster. And if so it is most likely rewealed, and if he just calls it often allows for a free showdown( if I dont have an A I might fire again if read permitt it on sign of weakness and raise was just called)

Is it just my inexperience that leads me to play these hands,can one give them up in the raise for chips as the blinds are increasing.

As the field thinnes I would assume the level of skill increases and that moves on flopps like these are more common, that is why I find it so hard to lay down postflopp. Or am I off here and should my line be that right now( middle-close to ending stages alot are playing only premium hands and are thight?) [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: This is a hand I screw up frequently( semilong)

You're asking for an awful lot here. By not providing a specific hand, you are asking people to give an extensive analysis of a number of different situations and possible responses to each. If you expect people to invest so much time in reading and responding to your post, you should at least correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. If you won't take the time to make your post readable, others are unlikely to take the time to decipher it and then give a cogent response.

Frankly, people are unlikely to do what you are asking for anyway. Post some specific hands, or make up some if you don't have histories, but include ALL of the relevant details: the buy-in, how long until the money, reads on other players at the table, your image, etc. By acknowledging that "it depends" but then declining to give a specific situation anyway, you are assuming others will take the time to respond hypothetically to every possible combination of these factors. It isn't going to happen. Post a hand, find out others think through the situation, ask questions, post another hand, repeat.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Dump em in EP unless you are feeling the pinch or have a target at your table. MP/LP just be cautious (that can mean overpushing when unopened to you). Great hands for blind defense.

I have poor results with AQ-J if I don't treat them like what they are. As much as I want to like these hands, they're really just one-way straight, high offsuit gappers.

[ QUOTE ]
"AQ from EP( I vary my play, but 70% of the time I bring it in for 3-4xbb, hoping to steal)

Then on Flopps of roughly this texture(With AQ)
A-(J-8)-small card, I lead with roughly a 1/2 pot sized bet( should one favour probe bets more say 1/3, making it easier to leave the hand?)"

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. That's why not playing AQo and AJo in EP is better in the long run. I run into the same situations as you, probably with very similar results (either win a little or lose a lot). This question comes up so often that it has to be characteristic of these hands.

[ QUOTE ]
"If the turn then offers no improvement, how do u attack the next betting round? How will u take on the hand is u spike two pairs on the flopp, but still are raised?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played a high enough stake tourny to not lose to sets here every time. When you spike your Ace or queen, it's just tough to get away from, especially when you need chips.

[ QUOTE ]
"I dont like pushing with this hand pre or post flopp, unless I am shortstacked-but might as well since I appear to marry the hand to often."

[/ QUOTE ]

After seeing so many take this line with AK making massive overbets, I lean towards this being the best line (I won't do it from EP or against a raiser very often, though)

[ QUOTE ]
"As the field thinnes I would assume the level of skill increases and that moves on flopps like these are more common, that is why I find it so hard to lay down postflop"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this is why I go broke with TPTK or when I flop an Ace. History hasn't shown me that people are making moves very often.

Maybe we just need better table selection skills in middle stages of MTTs?

Sorry to just echo your frustration.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 PM

There are no 2 cards tougher to play than AQ or AJ in the middle stages of a tourny, I think everyone who wants to get better should be spending a LOT of time considering these hands and thinking hypothetically.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:38 PM

Sklansky says in "Advanced Tournament Poker" that you never raise with a hand, that if re-raised, will make you puke to throw it away.

I got cleaned with this exact same hand as chip leader at final table on a $50 freezeout, and I was on the bubble. I was sick, and it took a week for my blood pressure to come down.
What I am saying is that if you throw out a bet and are called, I would check, and continue to check. If you were raised, or called and subsequently bet into, I would dump.