Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

[ QUOTE ]
Please put a $ number on "decent" for the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Private tutors normally charge $35-$100 per hour, depending on the subject being taught, background of the individual, area of country, whether the tutoring is done in-home or not, and other factors.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 AM

Ok, I was wrong then.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I was wrong then.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/01/nyregion/01tutor.html

You don't need to register and read the whole article above. Just read the tagline -- the dude charges $400 per hour for tutoring. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Online tutoring is cheaper ... sometimes you see that as low as 20 per hour. Most offline, private tutors are at least 35-40. Good ones are more. Subjects like math and science command more money because there are more people that need tutoring in them and less people qualified to do it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I teach high school

[/ QUOTE ]

He said low stress, though.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I teach high school - its perfect. Lots of time off.
Summers to play full time. You could take some extra classes to get your teachers license and teach physics or math

[/ QUOTE ]

I have looked into this a great deal. Then I always run into teachers/former teachers who say it's unbelievably time consuming. The more I think about it, though, the less I believe them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe them.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Intersting discussion... So how does one go about becoming a teacher? I'm in my mid 30's and currently work as a IT professional. Is mid 30's too late to consider this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never too late. Plenty of people quit their careers to become teachers. I know a man that did it when he was in his late 40s.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does one go about making this switch? I assume it involves going back to school and getting some kind of a license. How long does this process take?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the state. In NJ, for example, it is incredibly easy. I majored in engineering and was able to become employed as a math teacher without too much trouble. All I had to do was file for a "certificate of eligibility", which gave me the right to seek employment as a teacher. In order to get that you need to have 30 credits in your subject area you wish to teach. Then, I had to take a math subject area test (Praxis II), which anyone with an engineering degree could pass going in cold. After being hired, I had to attend a pointless class one night a week for the first year. After a full year of teaching, I was certified.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please put a $ number on "decent" for the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Private tutors normally charge $35-$100 per hour, depending on the subject being taught, background of the individual, area of country, whether the tutoring is done in-home or not, and other factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difficulty with this is the initial networking required to get students to tutor.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the dude charges $400 per hour for tutoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

For $400 an hour, I'd drop most other activities, including poker. A supply of suckers...err, students... willing to pay $400 an hour is IMO, very difficult or impossible to secure.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:29 PM

What about a sales job? There are a number of "commission only" or salary + commission type positions selling all number if products and services. Lots of theses jobs let you operate out of a home office. Make sales calls all day and come home around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Usually there is paperwork, quotes, follow-up calls, etc. that you need to do when you get home but you should be able to put fit in a good amount of poker and social life in if you manage it right.

If you are smart, have a decent personality and work hard you can make a decent living in sales. If you are very talented there's a good chance can make way more in sales than in poker.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aint exactly low stress but there aren't many jobs that are. I have the same schedule but I'm a librarian. You need a masters degree for my sort of position but it's low stress. Hey, you could be a postal worker, I hear that's real low stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am also a librarian and dont think it is low stress. Actually most jobs are not low stress, get used to it.