Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Still struggling with Ax

Button is tight and actually decent - I know he will fold to my PFR without a real hand, in which case he will 3 bet me and I'll know I'm behind. The SB and BB are both huge CS's. The BB also has made some very unusual raises and donk-bets (PFR UTG with 98o then donk betting a 3 bettor with bottom pair on a K high flop, check raising on a draw HU, etc.).

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 12-10-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Still struggling with Ax

Bet the river. If SB had an ace, he would probably bet it himself. Hope he has a lower pair rather than a busted flush draw.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:42 AM

I think you played it fine.

If you can't handle/Dont feel good enough to play A8o fold it. Don't play it "Because 2+2 said so". Think this may be a problem a lot of people have(I used to, Maybe i still do.. who knows).

River - Well i think he may just be wimping out with Ax and fearing a check/raise so wanting to see river.

Wheter an ace would be is dependant on read. If i bet will a weaker hand call? Hmm not sure.

as you say he's a calling station i reckon checking behind is best. Probably a wimpy ace or maybe even 2pair.

"Button is tight and actually decent " Wheres button gone?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM

hmm. I might be inclined to 3-bet this flop. The river check is a strong indicator that he didn't make his flush draw, but you said he was a calling station. I am thinking a river bet/fold against this type of villain. I suppose he might call with a hand that beats us and he has checked fearing we have a straight. It depends if this is a lo-aggro calling station or high-aggro. Now I'm thinking maybe we should fold the turn in this pot.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:38 PM

I bet the river. You aren't beating any aces, but he almost certainly doesn't have you beat either (he'd bet two pair here), so I'd bet and maybe get a call from a K or something.

Edit: Er, he might have two pair and be scared of the straight, but he'd probably not have bet the turn...er, I still like a bet, but I think checking is fine too.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:02 PM

Wait, is it SB or BB making the funky raises and such? If it's SB, and he's a dedicated calling station, he's not going to c/r the flop with anything you beat on the river. I smell a chop at best. If he's the funky one, I definately bet the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Button is tight and actually decent " Wheres button gone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, I included this because the button acts after me PF. He folded PF, as I expected him to.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't handle/Dont feel good enough to play A8o fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]
In all honesty, I don't agree with this. And I am not raising it "because 2+2 said so." I am raising because I think I have the best hand PF. The fact that I sometimes struggle with Ax post flop is just an honest self assessment. But I cannot improve my play in this regard by folding the hand, especially in spots where a PFR is clearly the correct play.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:02 PM

Whoops. I made a typo in my OP and it is much too late to edit now. The last sentence before the hand should read:

The SB also has made some very unusual raises and donk-bets (PFR UTG with 98o then donk betting a 3 bettor with bottom pair on a K high flop, check raising on a draw HU, etc.).

I know my description may sound a little confusing, but really donking and being a CS are not mutually exclusive. On the 98o hand where he raised PF, he called a 3 bet and then donked the flop. He was raised and checked the turn. Then he decided to donk the river brick, again calling a raise (and all of this was done with bottom pair on the flop, which never improved).

HU I had seen him cr (OOP obviously) a draw before, which was a very odd play as he has approximately zero fold equity (at LL), and pretty much has to hit the draw to win the hand.

Thanks for pointing out my error - sorry if this caused any confusion.