Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-25-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

Obviously you should not try to represent the ace everytime, but it is one of the best times to bluff if you opp is aceless.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:43 PM

openraise in emp/mp with anything from 46o to aks.

if 2-3 to the flop with position on me, fire a weakish continuation bet. one/two callers.

turn check (giving up), someone makes a 1/2 - 3/4 pot bet, i check-raise the new pot size, and take it down.

i am surprised at how seldomly i am shown even a moderately strong hand if picked off, and almost never anything marginal. so i can only assume they are folding and thus the line is working.

when it gets interesting is when i am called, stacks are sufficiently deep, and i am posed with the question of whether or not to fire off again huge on the river to take i down.

usually though the turn move takes it down, or i am giving up, unless i think they are on an obvious draw. if that is the case and the river bricks, then it is bombs away with 7 high.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp with something, others limp behind, bb makes some raise that's much too small to chase me out, so I call, everyone else calls, five to the flop. Flop is ace high and I have some sort of a draw at something. BB bets some amount, I call, everyone else folds. Turn is a blank and BB checks, so I take the pot.

Sorry for the lack of detail... you can still follow the logic behind the hand without it though. I call on the flop because I have a strong draw, any my opponents absolutely hate folding, so there's no point in raising. I figure someone must have an ace. But everyone folds and the preflop raiser checks the turn, at which point I realize that he doesn't have (or can beat) an ace and assumes that I have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the best advice I can give u is play the hand your opponent put you on. The above hand is a great exemple of that.

I also had trouble whit bluffing early in my "poker carrer". I was playing to tight and not bluffing enough. That also lead to not getting full value off my strong hands. I started to memorize how individual opponent were reacting to my play on hand I was strong but could'nt get paid. Then, when the situation was right and I knew I could represent a stronger hand, I started picking up a lot of pots.

my 2 cents

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2005, 09:33 PM

GoG hand

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...t=all&vc=1
Old 06-25-2005, 09:41 PM

Gooood thread. Vanveen explain kagame's bluff well.

Here's 2 different examples.... in the first I was defending/stealing against someone who was raising too much.

The second I was raising too much and had a good inkling that BB was just playing back at me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($650.35)
UTG ($617.55)
MP ($465.2)
Button ($193.63)
Hero ($414.8)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $28</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $22.

Flop: ($64) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, UTG calls $50.

Turn: ($164) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $122</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $286

[/ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($421.9)
UTG ($197.4)
Hero ($434.8)
Button ($686)
SB ($207.8)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $11.

Flop: ($32) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $155</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $247

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins $247. </font>
Old 06-26-2005, 12:02 AM

please post more :-)

i was on the road all day, and im glad someone stepped in and explained shorthanded aggressiveness against players that bet light and will make laydowns.

since he did so well, ill just leave it at that and comment on others hands and maybe post something else controversial
Old 06-26-2005, 03:06 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

Thats one of mine.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why bother bluffing a pot with no money in it? It's not like you are tied to this pot or anything, have a lot on the line...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what makes it a good bluff. The opponent will think the same thing, therefore he "can't" be bluffing.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:03 PM

I guess...just seems like a wasted bluff opportunity.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:18 PM

i didnt read that whole thread, but his bluff at the end is nice, but his turn is horible.

[ QUOTE ]
GoG hand

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...t=all&amp;vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]