Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2003, 01:43 PM

Default First time in Vegas and I have a hand question

Hi all! Well, I just got back from my first try at holdem in vegas. Ended down, but had a good time a learned alot about playing and my play. Looking back I found some mistakes and some good plays. However, there is one hand that has been haunting me and was wondering if I could run it by anyone for comments. Here goes....

I was in the small blind (2-4 game) with As9s. There were no raises all the way around and just about everyone was in. Everyone seemed weak so I called and the big blind checked. The flop was 10h9c5d. I was more than willing to fold at this point but it was quickly checked all the way around to me so I decided to bet (mistake?). My bet drove out all but two. A 5h showed up on the turn. There was a check then a bet. The bet caught me off gaurd but I called and the first guy folded. Then a King came up (can't remember but I think it was a club. The only guy left bet and I called. The guy turned over a 5 and a Jack (can't remember suite but I don't think he was on a flush draw). My question is, should I have known he hit trips with the five? I figured that if he had a five in his had he would not have came as far as he did, but obviously I was wrong. Thanks in advance....even if you do say I made an idiotic play [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: First time in Vegas and I have a hand question

"I was in the small blind (2-4 game) with As9s. There were no raises all the way around and just about everyone was in. Everyone seemed weak so I called"
I think you probably should have raised here. While it would have made your flop decision tougher, if anyone bet out behind you on the flop (assuming you check), you have a large volume of people to make catching your flush draw worth the raise.... plus you might get a free card on the flop if you don't catch well.

"The flop was 10h9c5d. I was more than willing to fold at this point but it was quickly checked all the way around to me so I decided to bet (mistake?)."
You screwed up here in your description- you couldn't have been checked to, in the small blind, on the flop. If you were actually in late position (button, cutoff) then the pre-flop raise becomes almost mandatory AND so does the flop bet.
Repost this and clean up the situation, will make the advice more meaningful.

"A 5h showed up on the turn. There was a check then a bet. The bet caught me off gaurd but I called and the first guy folded."
A ten bets here, an overpair bets here, a full house might or might not bet here (looking to suck in flush draws). A flush draw may bet here as well, whether s/he has part of the flop or not.
Again, sounds like you were in last position, not first- or did YOU check and someone checked behind?

"The guy turned over a 5 and a Jack (can't remember suite but I don't think he was on a flush draw). My question is, should I have known he hit trips with the five? I figured that if he had a five in his had he would not have came as far as he did, but obviously I was wrong."

That's not as important as the question "what could he be betting here that I can beat?" = only an underpair or a nine-Queen kicker. At low-limits, you can assume you're beaten most of the time here and safely fold.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:38 PM

Hi! Thanks for the comments. And I apologize for not explaining my-self better. I ment that if I was raised when I bet on the flop I was going to fold (cause I would have figured someone for a 10) However, all but two folded and they just called. Since there was a 9 and 10 I figured they were going for a straight so I thought my 9 pair with an ace kicker would hold up. Then when the 5 came It didn't make me too nervouse cause I didn't think anyone would have called with a pair of fives when a 9 and 10 was also on the board. Was that a correct assumption or should I have respected his bet?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:48 PM

I didn't think anyone would have called with a pair of fives when a 9 and 10 was also on the board.

Poker trip lesson 1: You've learned that your opponents will call with all sorts of ungodly crap that you would never consider calling with. If you expect your opponents to play logically, you're going to be proven wrong over and over.

BTW, the pot may have been large enough for your opponent to be calling with a 5-out hand. If it was a mistake, it was only a small mistake.

I think you can fold on the turn against most opponents. You are not only beaten by a 5 but also by a Ten.