Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 07:48 PM

Default VPIP too low

Looking at my pokertracker stats, I see I'm being too tight pre-flop. I play 2/4 and 3/6 primarily. My VPIP is a little over 16%, and my PF raise about 7%. This is only over about 7,000 hands, so it's hard to say exactly what my VPIP really is, but I know it's too low, especially because I don't think that my luck pre-flop has been that bad.

Specifically, I believe I'm being too tight in late position - my VPIP rises from about 11.5% UTG to 17.5% on the button. I feel like this is way too tight for late position.

And fortunately, I think I have a general idea of where i'm going wrong - I'm not playing the suited connectors enough.

So I have a couple questions, and hopefully some of you can lend me some advice. These are ramblings that are just coming off the top of my head, so don't feel the need to answer all these questions or restrict your answer to what I asked - I'm basically just looking to improve my pre-flop play.

If you're on the button or one off the button, how many do you need in the pot before you'll limp with, say, 76s or 54s? What about a hand like T9o? Generally, I'll go ahead and put chips in if there are 2 callers ahead of me in these situations.

If it's raised, how many do you need before you'll enter? Generally, with a hand like 76s, I require at least 2 cold callers ahead of me, and even at that I won't get in if I think there's a good chance it will be re-raised. A non-suited connector is almost always discarded here, as is Axs.

I'm a bit looser with Axs and Kxs- usually if there's 1 or more limpers, I'll limp behind them with Axs (Kxs requires 2), and if it's folded around to me, I'll try to steal with Axs or Kxs (and Qxs if the blinds are tight).

How many do you require before you'll raise to build a pot?

Obviously I'll modify this to fit the table, but in general, these are my default rules. They're probably all messed up, but that's why I'm looking for some advice...

TIA for any suggestions. Sorry for the length.

Edit: BTW, I am familiar with the SSHE chart, so I'm not asking anybody to do my homework for me. There are just some situations that I find come up fairly often that the general guidelines given in SSHE don't explicitly mention.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: VPIP too low

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at my pokertracker stats, I see I'm being too tight pre-flop. I play 2/4 and 3/6 primarily. My VPIP is a little over 16%, and my PF raise about 7%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your VPIP is fine, it's your PFR that is too low. It should be around 9 or 10.