Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 AM

Default 2/4 KQs top pair+flush draw

2/4 PP
Raising villain is 35/19 (with 1k+)
Calling villain is 65/38 (with 600)

Hero is button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (with 366)

Preflop
Raising villain opens utg for 18 (this is a little large), folded to hero, who calls, SB calls, calling villain calls in the BB

Flop (72)
K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
check, check, UTG bets 45, hero calls, SB folds, BB calls

Turn (207)
Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
check, villain checks, hero bets 120, BB calls, villain makes it 550 to go, hero calls 185 more, BB folds.

Comments?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: 2/4 KQs top pair+flush draw

Combo hands in raised pots are interesting I think. OOP I want to get to 3-bet all-in on the flop so I like leading. In position I'm still tempted to put in a pot-committing raise / push on the flop. You have less than 100BB and the pot is already $120. That said, your hand doesn't mind multi-way action so calling can work out well too. As played I like your half-pot on the turn & obviously you have to call the re-raise.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 AM

The worst hand u can expect to see is JT....with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] being the worst as it cuts down your flush outs....Wouldn't be suprised if u are up against AK or 99 here......I call in a heartbeat I think although something tells me you are up against KK.....
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Standard, though I hope your pushing that turn if someone bets.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Results

Villain had 99 and I didnt hit the river.

I think this is a truly horrible way to play 99 flopped set. I think I have one of the only hands that can call him when he check-raises.

Anybody agree? Why check-raise the set here, I think its yucky. If I have something like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then I would check behind and get a free shot to flush-up. Only I hit such a big hand did I get involved.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm torn between calling the active villain again, and pushing. I dont mind the other guy staying in. And there arent *too* many cards that I dont like to see (a J or a T spring to mind, and maybe an A, but only non-diamond versions).
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm torn between calling the active villain again, and pushing. I dont mind the other guy staying in. And there arent *too* many cards that I dont like to see (a J or a T spring to mind, and maybe an A, but only non-diamond versions).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think push is superior because

1. Calling villain could be on the bigger flush draw.

2. Raising villain could have AK

It is a horrible way to play a set unless he knows you are going to bet a draw on the turn, but oh well, next hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a horrible way to play a set unless he knows you are going to bet a draw on the turn, but oh well, next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going broke on a diamond, so if he does have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then c'est la vie. But if he has a draw, then I dont mind him staying in the pot, because most of the time he is drawing stone dead.

If Raising villain has AK, then I dont want to raise and push him off it. What if the river bricks ... and he checks ... and I get to represent a missed flush who is now bluff-pushing?

Im not sure I like raising, if I will lose AK and a lower [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw, then is it not a bad play to raise?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going broke on a diamond, so if he does have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then c'est la vie. But if he has a draw, then I dont mind him staying in the pot, because most of the time he is drawing stone dead.

If Raising villain has AK, then I dont want to raise and push him off it. What if the river bricks ... and he checks ... and I get to represent a missed flush who is now bluff-pushing?

Im not sure I like raising, if I will lose AK and a lower [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw, then is it not a bad play to raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think that is indeed a big if, maybe you do lose them, maybe you don't. Maybe you see the bigger flush draw more times than you see a smaller one, your certainly not getting any more money from a draw on the river though.

Also pushing gets all of raising villains $ in (if he calls) but if you call and the river is a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then you lose a lot of value to AK.

I guess arguments can be made for both cases, but I simply like pushing because there are a lot of river cards that make both villains fold + they can outdraw you.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think that is indeed a big if, maybe you do lose them, maybe you don't. Maybe you see the bigger flush draw more times than you see a smaller one, your certainly not getting any more money from a draw on the river though.

Also pushing gets all of raising villains $ in (if he calls) but if you call and the river is a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then you lose a lot of value to AK.

I guess arguments can be made for both cases, but I simply like pushing because there are a lot of river cards that make both villains fold + they can outdraw you.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK normally folds to a turn push, especially when the push is into a field ... I probably push if I dont hit the Q and villain bets, as then I might get him to fold, having outs if he calls. But now that I've hit the Q .... I like to keep him in I think.

Other villain could have a bigger diamond draw, but its unlikely I guess as I hold both the K and the Q. Still, it certainly possible. But if he can hold a smaller flush draw (which he surely can) then pushing must be bad as he might fold, and that would prevent the glorious opportunity to stack him on a rivered diamond. Yes, I risk getting stacked myself by the nut-flush draw, but surely its worth it as its much more likely that he has a worse draw/worse made hand.

Thinking more on it, I think I would call, in position on raising villain, hoping to stack raising villain on a blank, and calling villain on a diamond.

Thoughts ?