Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:55 PM

Default TT in BB with an early chip lead

so i doubled up early and have a good chip stack at this point in the tourney. avg. is about 1700 right now.

then this hand happens
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 (t3410)
CO (t1970)
Button (t1520)
SB (t1520)
Hero (t3190)
UTG (t1040)
UTG+1 (t1190)
MP1 (t1310)
MP2 (t680)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, Button calls t350.

Flop: (t1015) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t2690 (All-In)</font>, Button ?.

<font color="green"> part of me just wanted to push preflop to send the message not to mess with me. then i decided i'd only be called if i was beat. so i raise it up, willing to call if he decides to get wise.

then this ugly flop comes. is this a good push? i'm leaning towards no because it's too much of a gamble. what if i check and he bets? there's alot in the pot and i want to accumulate chips early (something i haven't been doing lately). what is your play?</font>
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: TT in BB with an early chip lead

stack sizes are kind of awkward pre-flop. your reraise puts 1/3 of his chips in the middle, which will be kind of difficult for you to play. but you're right - a push is too much. he'll probably call only 88+ AQ+ and maybe tighter, so you are in pretty bad shape when you get called. you'd only win 195 at a risk of 1500.

the reraise is going to make the flop difficult to play well. he'll be disinclined to bet with missed overs if you check to him; the only way i see you stacking him is on something like an 8-high board and he has A8 or 99.

so how about a flat call preflop? it'd leave 315 in the pot and he'd have 1350. you can c/r a rag flop and bet-fold a high one. i think in the moment i'd reraise, but i like a call. it means he'll be around with more trash hands like 97 that you're way ahead of.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: TT in BB with an early chip lead

Isn't part of the point with a reraise that you narrow down you opponents holdings?