Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Bay101 Open Trip Report

I was asked to do a trip report, so I will. I played in the $1000+50 Spread Limit final event (effectively no-limit for the most part; max bet/raise is 25x the BB). 5000 starting chips. 40 minute levels. Levels were 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, etc.

I can probably best sum it up by saying that when I went all-in from the cutoff with A3o with 2300 chips left (blinds 200/400), it was the 8th best starting hand I saw all day.

The others:
AT (twice) - I. First hand of the day. Table had only 4 or 5 people. I raised to 150. Got the blinds.

Second time it was suited. I was in EP and limped. Aggressive MP player raised to 200 (blinds 25/50). I called. Flop was AKx. I bet 300. He called. Turn was another K. I checked. He bet 1000. I fold.

A6s (twice). 2nd hand of the day. I limp. SB completes. BB "folds" (was not at the table). Flop is A high. I bet 100. SB folds. After that I had ~5100, which was my high water mark.

Second time I folded to an EP raise and would have flopped the nut flush.

AQo. Blinds 50/100. Loose player limps UTG. I raise to 500 from MP. Loose/bad player to my left min-raises to 900. Reasonable asian woman in SB goes all in. I fold. Other player folds. I asked her if she had AQ and she says something like "Pshaw. You think I would do that with AQ?" so I'm pretty sure she had AK or QQ-AA.

22 UTG. I fold.

88 (my "best" starting hand of the day). Blinds 25/50. I'm in MP. New UTG (arrived late) limps. I limp. Bad player to my left makes 550. Folded to UTG and he goes all-in. I fold. Bad player calls. UTG has TT. Bad player has KK (while I was at the table this player had AA 3 times and KK twice and got all-in with them each time and won all of them).

Other hands of note:

89o on the button. Blinds 50/100. UTG (aggressive player from second AT hand) limps. One other limper. I limp. SB completes. BB checks. Flop is 679 rainbow. I bet 500. UTG calls. Turn is a 3. I go all-in for ~1500. UTG folds.

87s. I'm in the small blind. 2 limpers (I think). I complete. Bad player in BB makes it 400. Both limpers call. I call (completing the action and getting really good odds). Flop is TT2 with 2 of my suit. I check, raiser checks. UTG bets 1500. I consider going all-in (about 2000 more), but fold.

Oh, on that last hand, the player to my left re-raised w/KK (2nd KK he'd had since I got to that table 1 orbit ago). Flop had an A and a K. Turn was a K...

So, in short, frustrating...

Then I went home and won $1000 playing $200 sit-n-goes on Party. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2004, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Bay101 Open Trip Report

sorry that your experience wasnt better. that is my main problem with live tourneys -- they move so slow and when you're not getting any interesting hands to play it's painful as all get out. i want to invent a poker table set-up where you can sit at one table, spin around and be sitting at another at the same time allowing you to 2-table live tourneys.

all that being said, thanks for the report - i was wondering how it went for you.

KingMedicine
Old 10-25-2004, 04:40 AM

I was there today. I ran QQ into AA, which was only the third time I ran big PP into AA over the weekend.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I went home and won $1000 playing $200 sit-n-goes on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I mention that I purchased 10% of your Sunday Tournaments .....so, I guess we'll call it even?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then I went home and won $1000 playing $200 sit-n-goes on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I mention that I purchased 10% of your Sunday Tournaments .....so, I guess we'll call it even?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on now. I made all my money by selling 200% of myself...you know like "The Producers" :P

Oh, I missed one, btw. I did have AJ in the SB once when blinds were 100/200. Button raised to 600. I pushed all in for about 3000 total. Button thought, flashed me an ace, and folded (at which point I thought "damn, that was probably the best chance to double up I'm going to get". Ding.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(at which point I thought "damn, that was probably the best chance to double up I'm going to get". Ding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that or the flop comes J33, and he instacalls your flop checkraise w/ his A3 and you beat yourself up for not pushing prflop.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(at which point I thought "damn, that was probably the best chance to double up I'm going to get". Ding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that or the flop comes J33, and he instacalls your flop checkraise w/ his A3 and you beat yourself up for not pushing prflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm not considering a flat call here with AJ out of position. He thought a while before he folded, and once 8 or 9 seconds had ticked by I knew I was either a coinflip or way ahead (I assume he would have called AK or AQ pretty quick here). When he flashed I just remember thinking that I wished he had called.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:23 PM

I was at the final table with you in the limit event, I think. The KK vs AA before the break was pretty crippling. I was in the 1 seat.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at the final table with you in the limit event, I think. The KK vs AA before the break was pretty crippling. I was in the 1 seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that hand was not a good break, but I was lucky to still be in the tournament. I would like to think that I would be good enough to have folded the river if he bet since the Q paired, but I doubt I would have, so he saved me a bet. Also with two tables left, I was set to start running the table over, but the guy in the google hat (that wasn't you was it?) kept sucking out on me, which is why I went to the final table with not that many chips. I raised his bb with QT and he called and c/r on the QTx flop with AT, I three bet, then called down when the A hit the turn. He raised utg with 33, a short stack three bet, leaving himself with 2 bets left, I capped with AK and he called two bets cold with 33 in EP to hit a set, but only got a bet out of me on the flop. I think that he definitely should have folded which would have made my ak beat the short stacks ATs. I agree in your other post that the final table was not that strong at all, and I was not surprised at all that the guy who won actually did.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:59 PM

The guy who won it, JP, is an outstanding poker player. I've played quite a bit with him, and he's tremendous. Also, a good guy.

I wasn't the guy in the Google hat, I was the other young guy at the table, with the curly hair and the "dumb grin"* on my face. The guy with 33 probably got his money in at the best spot he could, especially considering that he was already in for 2 bets once he raised with it UTG. I'd fold it in the first place, though. Sorry things didn't work out as well as they could have for you.

* The dumb grin is how Ray Zee tells people how to find me at the table, and this is probably apt.