Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2004, 10:55 AM

Default What kind of player do you hate to play against?

In the mid-to-late stages of a tournament, my style tends to be all-in/fold. That is, if I'm facing a raise and I've got 20-30x the BB, I'm usually either pushing or folding. I find, however, that the players who give me the most trouble are the players who will flat-call raises preflop, especially in LP (as opposed to the blinds). Unsurprisingly, this is a popular tactic of some of the trickiest tournament pros (Hansen, Negraneu).

I'd like to be able to add this weapon to my game, at least occasionally. It seems like I'd want the following conditions:

1. Raiser is a good aggressive player who I suspect can steal-raise or semi-steal raise from a number of positions. "Good" is important because I want them to be capable of laying down to bluffs.

2. I am unlikely to be called by a player with postion on me. Preferably I am unlikely to be overcalled period (i.e. blinds are tight).

3. I have a hand that can flop big. but that I can get away from if I miss (I may bluff at it, but I can get away if I get action). Hands like suited connectors, small pairs.

4. I have enough chips to scare the raiser. Preferably I out-chip them.

Like steal-raising, this seems like a tactic that you could easily start using too often and have it bite you in the ass. I'm interested to hear thoughts...