Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-22-2005, 01:48 AM

Default becoming a championship boxer.....

I got into a debate with some of my old friends over the idea that he (he admits to being out of shape, and of at best average athletic ability) could become world champion boxer in the straw weight division (105 and under).

He thought he could since hes about 5'11 and 200, I said no because he wouldn;t ever be able to out box the guy, so the chap would win every decision, and really what are the chances of knocking someone out when they know your trying to hit them, and they know what they are doing.

the debate then got into if the ring was shrunk to 1/3 its regular size to help you be able to hit him how would that help???

The debate ended when I threw up, but at that point we were discussing how long we would need to train (we could still weigh anything) in order to be in shape to beat the 105 and under boxing champion.

Thoughts?

Ken
Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: becoming a championship boxer.....

The ring shrinking would help but I doubt you'd outbox the world champion if you didn't train extensively (and have some natural talent, if not a lot of it)
Old 12-22-2005, 01:54 AM

I can't think of a grown person I know who is this size. I can't even imagine trying to beat someone this small. But in order to weight 105 pounds they would probably have to be absurdly short, so your strategy would center on keeping them at the end of your jab and hoping to get lucky enough to connect.

I boxed a guy who is 5'6, about 135 (I'm 6', 200). He was trained and we were both drunk, and he housed me. On a separate occasion I wrestled him and won easily. I don't know how this is relevant, because this guy couldn't have been much smaller without being malnourished. Fighting a 100 pound person is just crazy.

NT
Old 12-22-2005, 02:41 AM

I feel your friend would have no chance vs. whoever the strawweight champion is. Plus the boxer would probably be closer to 120 come the fight, for whatever that is worth. Also, I still think he could KO your friend.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:03 AM

Old 12-22-2005, 03:07 AM

I don't think your friend could ever become the world champion in any weight division starting this late in life. I was very into boxing for about a year before I got into poker and I think it's wildly difficult to realize how hard they train and how skilled a good boxer really is.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Most championship boxers at the lower weight limits are just short and built like any other boxer. Despite his superior size and reach, your friend would get clobbered by some 5' guy. Also he would be about as threatening as Calista Flockhart and have absolutely no power behind his punches. His only chance at winning would be making his opponent laugh so hard he would be unable to get up.