Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: $3/$6 hand

Hi Roland,

First, a comment on players for which you do not have a read. I used to be very careful with these. I have changed this approach. When I see a player for whom I have no info, I assume generally weak till I see any other indication. It seems to me this approach works. I'd like to see others' comments on this.

3rd: It seems to me the tables I play (2/4, 3/6, 5/10) are so live/aggressive that I expect to be able to Bring-In and re-raise on 3rd. If the other A was not out, would you still bring in for the full bet? I don't remember the last time I brought in for a full bet.

4th: The boards sure are not what you want to see. However, I would probably raise:
1- I think you are probably ahead.
2- suspected weakness of players.

5th: Spades look scary. I agree with the call.

6th: I agree with the bet. I would also dismiss Seat 6 on a draw. Indeed, it looks to me like Seat 6 has confirmed the suspicion of weakness with his check/call.

7th: I agree with the bet. I think the fold is a mistake.
I would guess your read is correct most of the time but not often enough to justify a fold.

Cheers,
Old 12-19-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Some more thoughts and Results

Okay, my thoughts:

3rd street:
This stuff about the full bet bring-in has been discussed a million times on here, so I’m not gonna go into it. Let’s just say that I don’t want a million callers with this deadish hand, that any aggressive player with a big pair is going to raise anyway and that I’m not necessarily giving up deception completely because most of these guys have no clue and don’t know what’s going on when I do that.

4th street:
I think most people raise too often on 4th street. Personally, I often delay till 5th because that raise has a much better chance of actually getting the desired result.
In this spot for instance, with two possible flush draws cutting deep into my equity, raising is sub-optimal. I can’t imagine that my average equity is much higher that 30% (thus, I can’t raise for value). All it does is build a pot for seat 3 if he has a flush draw (and he may very well fail to that himself) and open myself up to a 3-bet from seat 6.
Thus, my plan was to check-raise 5th.

5th street:
This street still puzzles me and I have no idea if betting or check-calling is better.
Some people have said they would check-raise. I have two problems with this:
a) Seat 3 may call anyway. These guys rarely fold - it’s like playing with a full table of Andy Bs.
b) It would suck to get 3-bet. If he has it, I’m drawing very slim and even if he has only a 4-flush and a pair, I’m not exactly a huge favourite.
Bottom line, I believe seat 3 is usually calling with the hand I want him to fold (4-flush) but usually folding the hand I wouldn’t mind him calling with (any under pair).
So, since the pot isn’t exactly huge, risk-reward on check-raising is off imo.

6th street:
That check can only mean he’s full of it (or that he’s very tricky, but who goes for the check-raise here with a flush?). Easy bet.

River:
I’m pretty sure the fold is good. I folded without hesitation really.
Of course, there is that slight chance that seat 3 hit kings up. But how many players would raise there with kings up? 20% maybe? And how many players are dumb enough to over call with queens up? 50%? Doing any math on this would be pointless because those are only rough guesses, but you get my point…

Any more comments welcome.

Results:

Seat 3: [ 2c Qc Tc 8c 6d Kh 6c ] (a flush).

Seat 6: [ 7h 9d Js Qs 8s Qh Th ] (caught his gutshot on the river - just enough to get him in trouble).
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM

I'm new to stud so I have no idea what I'm talking about, but why don't we raise 4th street? Don't we assume our AA is presently best and a raise may knock out seat 3? Again, I have no clue so someone explain.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, I have no clue so someone explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I did.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I posted my response before I read that. Sorry.