Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Stud Hi Lo Tournies

I am a fairly successful at stud hilo ring, but am having trouble getting anywhere with tournies. Structure is one problem - even at a good site like PokerStars, by the 4th round, the betting levels are so high, you have to already have to have some chips to do anything it seems. (Never mind the ridiculous sites like PartyPoker where it is simply a crapshoot).

What do people think are the keys to success?

Intuitively, it seems you have to take more chances to accumulate chips early, but loose play in hilo is a presription for disaster in ring play...

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Stud Hi Lo Tournies

Early on, there is a lot of loose play, so play solidly. I play quality hands, generally low hands. If I have AA or 346 suited or something, I like to jam on 3rd street. Sometimes 5 people will come along for 4 bets.

This is not true at a higher level. In the WCOOP stud/8 tournament, the play was pretty tight from the beginning.

Later on, it becomes more of an ante stealing game. Sometimes, if you are short stacked, you have pot odds to go allin with a marginal hand, particularly heads up. Sometimes you may have a decent sized stack and you have to play one hand for most of your chips.

The main thing is that a lot of tournaments go from much looser than ring to much tighter than ring.