Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 12:54 AM

Default 1080p HDTV as a monitor?

I've been shopping around for an HDTV. I was leaning toward a 62" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP, but then saw the new HP 65" DLP. I had assumed that the Mitsubishi would serve well as a monitor for a home-theater PC, but the more I read the less sure I am, because it seems it won't accept a 1080p signal via HDMI input.

Then I found the new 65" HP 1080p DLP set. Along with some great reviews I've seen online, I also have seen some posts from people who have been playing games at 1920x1080 on the set. As a bonus, I can get a nice educational discount on the set.

Now, it wouldn't let me 4-table with no overlap, but it'd be close. And I bet I'd be able to see the cards from 10-12 feet away.

Anybody here have any experience using a setup like this?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 1080p HDTV as a monitor?

the set's been out for about 5 minutes, so my guess is now. it is getting favorable press at avsforum. good that you're doing your homework on the 1080p/inputs thing, i'm sure that will shock a lot of people when hd dvds come out and they can't get 1080p. generalized info on htpcs should be enough for you to read about in terms of using it as a pc monitor.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: 1080p HDTV as a monitor?

[ QUOTE ]
the set's been out for about 5 minutes, so my guess is now. it is getting favorable press at avsforum. good that you're doing your homework on the 1080p/inputs thing, i'm sure that will shock a lot of people when hd dvds come out and they can't get 1080p. generalized info on htpcs should be enough for you to read about in terms of using it as a pc monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna get the new Sony SXRD set, but the lack of 1080p inputs completely killed it... what's the point of spending 5 grand on a set without em? Also, as Astro pointed out, it's completely new technology, so it's unknown and probably overpriced...

BTW, Astro, I think you've personally helped me out like 5 times in the last two weeks (including my thread on teh tv). Thanks again.