Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Getting frustrated with the money I make

[ QUOTE ]
50k per year working 23hrs a week, 42 weeks a year is really miserable isn't it. I'm not saying it's great, but it's far from miserable.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, he said he played the 10s and 20s...He didnt say how many tables so lets not assume. Lastly, with the expenses some of us have, and the places where we live, 50K before taxes is not close to enough. I dont think its unreasonable to be a bit surprised to hear that someone is making a living straddling the 10s and 20s...but I see your point too. Your numbers reflected more than I expected, to be honest.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, he said he played the 10s and 20s...He didnt say how many tables so lets not assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

No that was just an example. It's probable that OP doesn't 10 table [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I just wanted to point out that it is possible to make a decent income at the $22s. It might not be a great income, but it's definately not as bad as the guy above made it sound. Remember alot of people on this site are college aged where $50 is a pretty good hourly rate.

[ QUOTE ]
Your numbers reflected more than I expected, to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

A $55er working the same hours with a 12-13% ROI would make 100k.

I've also got to remember this is all tax free for me, so 100k to me is much better than 100k to an american. Hell, my 100k is the equiv to around 180k pretax here.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, he said he played the 10s and 20s...He didnt say how many tables so lets not assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

No that was just an example. It's probable that OP doesn't 10 table [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I just wanted to point out that it is possible to make a decent income at the $22s. It might not be a great income, but it's definately not as bad as the guy above made it sound. Remember alot of people on this site are college aged where $50 is a pretty good hourly rate.

[ QUOTE ]
Your numbers reflected more than I expected, to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

A $55er working the same hours with a 12-13% ROI would make 100k.

I've also got to remember this is all tax free for me, so 100k to me is much better than 100k to an american. Hell, my 100k is the equiv to around 180k pretax here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I agree with all of this. I also have to remember the same principles (not to project MY cost of living on the rest). Taxes are a big issue, especially where I live (NYC) where we have not only the fed taxes, but state and city as well (both of them some of the highest in the country).

But 10 tabling the 22s at a decent ROI should be a decent living for most. I just assumed that this was NOT the case for OP.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 AM

Learn to play MTT's so you can donk your way to a win and auto jump levels.

That is how the pros do it baby.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 AM

You should maybe move up one level at least. If you're doing good enough to keep urself alive at the $11 and $22s, you should be okay doing $22s and $33s. Also 11t is right. You should learn how to play MTTs. $11 MTTs to begin with. It has anywhere between 500 to 1500 players (depending on the time) and first place payout goes from 1000-4000 (plus or minus a few thousand... this is off the top of my head). That's a real booster.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Post deleted by Cola

Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should maybe move up one level at least. If you're doing good enough to keep urself alive at the $11 and $22s, you should be okay doing $22s and $33s. Also 11t is right. You should learn how to play MTTs. $11 MTTs to begin with. It has anywhere between 500 to 1500 players (depending on the time) and first place payout goes from 1000-4000 (plus or minus a few thousand... this is off the top of my head). That's a real booster.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure 11t was joking. MTTs have WAY too much variance for someone who is barely making a living. Especially for someone who depends on that money to pay bills every month.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM

Yes, a lot depends on where you live. The assumption in this thread is that the person lives in an expensive state/city, or even the US. Here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a rather beautiful city to live in (IMHO), U$50,000/year would have you living at a very decent standard.

Albert
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MTTs have WAY too much variance for someone who is barely making a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is true, but the occasional $11 MTT isn't going to hurt especially if he's busting out a thousand or more $11 or $22 SNGs a month. I'm not saying play them all the time...just a few times a week.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM

No, it's more to do with how old you are and what kind of financial responsiblities you have. Most people on this board are young and would live very well on 50k here (for their age), and I live in a city that's more expensive than any american city apart from NYC.