Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Default OT: Heads up starting hands

Ok, I've been on a huge downswing lately in my HU SNG's, and I was analyzing my hands in pokertracker, and noticed some interesting info.

I make the most money on pocket pairs, and suited cards.
I know the sklansky NL hand chart, but doesn't that only apply to after all the cards have been dealt?

If I have a monster in the BB I usually just call, but if I have a monster in the SB I usually raise.

I noticed that hands such as 97s, Q8o, 63s, T4s, 96s, and 76o that I usually consider trash (but I raise with them anyways out of the SB) are winning far more than their fair share.

For instance, I've lost more money with pocket 2's than I've won. I'm sure the reason is that when I raise with them unless I hit a 2 or a A or K scare card comes I'll fold them to almost any bet.

Hands like 64s, 93s, 85s on the other hand, are winning me a great deal of chips. I think the reason is simply that my opponent can't put me on a hand when I hit my two pair or gut-shot straight, and if I cheaply flop the flush draw from the button I'll play it very aggressively.

I'm wondering if this rational thinking at all, or am I being completely illogical in my reasoning and missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
overall #s give you "clues"

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone posted that about how PT can help your SNG game, and that's what gave me the idea to deep into my data.

Note: I looked at the data not by which hands have won me the most chips overall, but as average chips won per time the hand was dealt.

One more thing to keep in mind: I'm obviously not dumb enough to call with one if these hands when someone pushes just because they usually win me a bunch of money. I've just noticed they give me a strategic advantage as far as postflop play goes.

Your thoughts appreciated,
Lando