Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 12-02-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Poker on Resume....the real reason for asking

Should i instead say that i was living on social welfare, of my parents or in a mental asylum? I cant even see the connection to bragging.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:15 PM

this post says more about you than those you are attempting to analyze.

Barron
Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not luckily for me... I keep hearing these reports on the fox news channel of her coercing young interns for oral sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope she uses Summer's Eve [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38 AM

Default not disagreeing

Hey, I already mentioned in my original post that my reason for putting poker on my resume would be bc of egotistical reasons so I won't disagree. But I still think I am right for the most part. Here is why....the interviewer is either going to be :
1)a Non-Poker player: in which case he/she will not care or frown upon your poker exploits
2)a Poker player/enthusiast: in which case you guys will obviously start discussing poker strategy and/or how well you each do at poker.

Tell me how that's wrong.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: not disagreeing

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I already mentioned in my original post that my reason for putting poker on my resume would be bc of egotistical reasons so I won't disagree. But I still think I am right for the most part. Here is why....the interviewer is either going to be :
1)a Non-Poker player: in which case he/she will not care or frown upon your poker exploits
2)a Poker player/enthusiast: in which case you guys will obviously start discussing poker strategy and/or how well you each do at poker.

Tell me how that's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, #1 is what we're all trying to figure out. That actually hasn't been determined yet (as far as I know); how the employer will perceive poker playing.

#2 is merely conveivable. If I'm there for a job interview and the employer plays poker as well, then my guess is that it would stop at that: "we're both poker players" <smile>. I'm pretty sure that if I'm being interviewed that I'll just keep, being interviewed. Anything less seems like it'd be kind of unprofessional.

I understand though, that looking at this from your angle, that if both people have the problem of ego and both have that desire to indulge in ego, then the result would be standard. I'm just not sure that you're going to be able to find that your premiss is absolute. Well, I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:19 AM

If the interviewer is not a poker player, there ain't no way in hell he will say "Yes I admire your poker playing abilities because I hear that you have to have great analytical skills to play poker well"........he will either think nothing of it and not even notice it (in which case there was no reason to put it in) or he will think you are a degenerate.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:45 PM

I would not hire someone who played poker for a living, unless I knew them very well already. Put it on your resume, and I'll shitcan it on receipt.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are applying to Susquehanna trading near the burbs of Philly it is +EV, otherwise forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hunch their office games are weak-tight city.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not hire someone who played poker for a living, unless I knew them very well already. Put it on your resume, and I'll shitcan it on receipt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:58 PM

Sure, you may be right about that. But I was answering this claim:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know if they will "care" or not or if they will "frown" on it or not. Milo suggests that they will care and that they will frown.