Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Worst WSOP Final Table Ever

[ QUOTE ]

A challenge? Worst final table ever? This was really really easy.

1971. Only six participants in the damn thing. Everybody made the final table and there wasn't even a full table. Not only that, the buy-in was $5000 Its not just the quality of the competition on the final table its the difficulty involved in getting to the final table.

Only 1972 rivals 1971 as far as ease of making the final table and that one edges 1971 for not quite being the worst final table ever because the buy-in went up to 10k and Amarillo Slim one and then went on Carson and other outlets and gave the tourney the Pub it needed to put it on the track to where it is today.

I don't care if Johnny Moss did beat Puggy Pearson in 1971 and Puggy himself went on to win in 1973. That 1971 final table was much worse than 2002 and 2005, without a doubt.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are basing it on the ability to sit down vs weeding through the crown then obviously the 1971 table is last, and the 2005 final table is the greatest of all time as they outlasted more than anybody.

I however would disagree and would base it on if you had to play a single table tourney against the players of any years final table (at that time) who would it be. I would wager that you would have a much tougher time against the 1971 table then the 2002 or 2005 table for example.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM

1991: Daugherty, Farsai, Green, Holt, Hunsucker, O'Dea, Shirey, Veltri, Williams. Who? O'Dea and Green are the only ones of note besides Daugherty, who hasn't exactly dominated the circuit since his win.

1997: Besides Ungar, what? Bao, Bjorin, Judah, Roepke, Roren, Stanley, Strzemp, Walker. Stanley, Judah, and Bjorin are the only ones of any note.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A challenge? Worst final table ever? This was really really easy.

1971. Only six participants in the damn thing. Everybody made the final table and there wasn't even a full table. Not only that, the buy-in was $5000 Its not just the quality of the competition on the final table its the difficulty involved in getting to the final table.

Only 1972 rivals 1971 as far as ease of making the final table and that one edges 1971 for not quite being the worst final table ever because the buy-in went up to 10k and Amarillo Slim one and then went on Carson and other outlets and gave the tourney the Pub it needed to put it on the track to where it is today.

I don't care if Johnny Moss did beat Puggy Pearson in 1971 and Puggy himself went on to win in 1973. That 1971 final table was much worse than 2002 and 2005, without a doubt.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are basing it on the ability to sit down vs weeding through the crown then obviously the 1971 table is last, and the 2005 final table is the greatest of all time as they outlasted more than anybody.

I however would disagree and would base it on if you had to play a single table tourney against the players of any years final table (at that time) who would it be. I would wager that you would have a much tougher time against the 1971 table then the 2002 or 2005 table for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those early final tables had pretty strong self selection. How many people were willing to play in a $10K (at least $25K in today's money) cash game with Johny and Doyle where you couldn't cash out until one person had all the money.

Anyone with $100K or whatever to buy in can play at the "big game" at Bellagio, but I would wager that on any day it has a stronger field than any recent WSOP final table.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and that wouldn't be good because I really really want to make 2002 the worst ever. Thus, the top seven instead of top nine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you should seriously consider going into science.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:20 AM

wasnt ming ly and tony d at the 2002 final table? which would make it pretty strong
Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 AM

Your avatar is awesome. I'd say about 95% of this forum could be in Erin Ness's position if they had a pretty face and a vagina.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your avatar is awesome. I'd say about 95% of this forum could be in Erin Ness's position if they had a pretty face and a vagina.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this forum.