Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-19-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advice?

[ QUOTE ]
short answer to a long question.

Stay on the meds.

[/ QUOTE ]

.. and can I have them?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advic

[ QUOTE ]
You will always be able to play poker and make money. I'm 25 and would happily give up all of the money in the world to be 21 again. Those were far and away the best years of my life. Enjoy them while you can.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well dude thats kinda the point of this post. I WANT so badly to enjoy doing things I used to enjoy doing but I just don't. When someone mentions going to a party to me now I have no desire to go and would rather just stay in my room on my computer. I thought this was associated to the fact that maybe i'm just getting older and have gotten tired of the whole party scene or just am maturing but it seems to alot of people that the problem is that i'm still depressed. While on meds I just had a very up beat personality and people wanted to be around me... which is why I still get alot of calls nowadays from friends from my freshman year inviting me to go to parties with them but I always make up some excuse why I can't. I'll say that i'm going home for the weekend or something, when really I just don't want to.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like you want to be a "normal" fake person who depends on others for happiness. I have no desire at all to go hang out with people I dont care to be around.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I miss that feeling that I used to get when someone mentioned the idea of a party. Also, sitting in your room alone can be fun while you're doing what you want to be doing... but when you look at the bigger picture, it's a pretty sad life style. I definitely have no plans for doing it for the rest of my life.

And about depending on other people for happiness... well thats generally where happiness comes from. Relationships with friends, spouses, childrenn, parents, etc... a life without any of that would be an empty one. My problem is that I realize this but just have no motivation to do anything about it, and that right now... these relationships are not very appealing to me.

Also i've noticed my social skills go down some. I'm not as confident/charismatic with the ladies as I used to be, this is not good.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:40 PM

hey man, Im in the same boat, and there are two things you can do about it.

take it as a phase, and let it run its course, stop questioning yourself (which is the source of your depression, if you're like me) and just accept it.

The other thing to do is just force yourself out there, but the choice is yours.

Im just keeping my close friends close, and letting this run it's course.. and btw, it's getting better, as Im starting to get downright bored with being home some nights.

I think this might be a way of your body finding a balance between our typical college lifestyle, and relaxation.

PM me if you feel the need, I'd be happy to talk about it with ya.

GL
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: My version of the \"Try to get me to stay in school\" thread. Advice?

As a forward, I'm a internist, not a psychiatrist. I've helped a lot of people with fairly straightforward cases of clinical depression, and started with some much more complex cases before referring them to psychiatrists for further treatment.

[ QUOTE ]
Losing interest in things you used to enjoy, especially social activities, is a classic sign of depression. So is withdrawing into an escapist activity. (Of which online Poker is a fine example.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

[ QUOTE ]
While on meds I just had a very up beat personality and people wanted to be around me... which is why I still get alot of calls nowadays from friends from my freshman year inviting me to go to parties with them but I always make up some excuse why I can't. I'll say that i'm going home for the weekend or something, when really I just don't want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really going to attempt a serious diagnosis from a few posts on 2+2, but there's enough here to at least suspect clinical depression. The second quote makes be wonder about bipolar disorder as well. I saw that several times. Someone would come in depressed, I'd start them on an antidepressant and the next thing you know they're the life of the party. What happened was the antidepressant unmasked their manic tendencies. And mania can be even more of a problem than depression. If you think playing poker while you're depressed can be an issue, watch a manic play. 72o? No problem, I'll just outplay them postflop!

You also mentioned that you thought the parties were boring because of where you are, and that if you're financially secure in the future you can move somewhere more interesting where you'll have access to more interesting parties. I don't know where you go to school, but even if it's a small school in the middle of nowhere, it's unlikely you'll ever find another place where there is such a concentration of people your age with similar interests.

Besides, it sounds like you found them when you were taking your meds. And I think it's unlikely that you outgrew them when you stopped.

The people here who are advising you to seek medical help are giving you good advice. A psychiatrist might be the answer, but be wary of someone who just wants to push pills, as there are several medical conditions besides depression which can present similarly.

I'm open for PM's as well, but honestly, it sounds like Atticus would be able to help you more.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 PM

i think atticus' post should be stickied on all the sub-forums at 2+2. concise, true, and more important to the well-being of many of the members here than one would ever guess..................b
Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The people here who are advising you to seek medical help are giving you good advice. A psychiatrist might be the answer, but be wary of someone who just wants to push pills, as there are several medical conditions besides depression which can present similarly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice. I'd recommend getting a wide range of blood tests, as there are many physical conditions that can cause depression. (Hypoglycemia is a good example).

Apart from that, though, always remember that your doctor is your employee, not the other way around. Ask lots of questions. Learn as much as you can about your condition. If he just wants to talk over you for 30 seconds, throw some pills at you, and move on, fire him and see someone else.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm open for PM's as well, but honestly, it sounds like Atticus would be able to help you more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that. I've lived with depression my whole life, and I have good news: it can be managed. I've been in remission for several years, and have a great life, now.

But, you must take responsibility for your own health. No doctor is gonig to sit at your place with you and make you take your pills, or force you to exercise. If you commit to doing whatever it takes to beat it, you're already halfway to winning.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:16 AM

I only read the short version and here is my advice to you.

1. Work out. I'm echoing Lacky for emphasis on something so vital.

2. Get some personal finance books. Knowing how to make a lot of money isn't enough - you need to know what to do with it. Get Rich Slowly is a great blog entry full of good advice and it also drops some good book recommendations.

3. Poker gets boring and putting in full-time hours gets tough. Find a motivation besides of stacks of cash (this is never enough) that'll keep you playing.

4. Should you decide to go pro, take a single semester off. Play full-time. At the end of the semester, honestly evaluate whether or not you're a good pro. Make sure you enjoy it, can put the hours in, and keep the rest of your life unaffected.

Post study, and play a lot, and run well. Good luck.