Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: $22: ITM with AKs and > 10BB

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise is too big, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought my mistake was. If I'm just trying to take the blinds, I should push. After all, if either of them push PF I'm calling here, so why not just push to begin with?

However, I shouldn't mind seeing a flop. I'll have position and he'll to have to make a tough decision. If he does go ahead and push it would be easier to dump the hand on a whiffed flop if the pot weren't so big.

Not that I would have folded here anyway: I thought had had at least 12 and probably 15 outs twice, and also felt there was at least a small chance I had the best hand.

Am I starting to get it?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise is too big, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought my mistake was. If I'm just trying to take the blinds, I should push. After all, if either of them push PF I'm calling here, so why not just push to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]
With a hand this strong, blinds this big, and three-handed, I'd want to get my money in preflop if at all possible. If one or both of the players will call you with a wide range of hands (I think you mentioned that SB called with K5o, which is top 35%), then I'd just shove and hope for a call. If they're playing tighter I would just raise and take it from there.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I shouldn't mind seeing a flop. I'll have position and he'll to have to make a tough decision. If he does go ahead and push it would be easier to dump the hand on a whiffed flop if the pot weren't so big.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. The way you played it, you're getting 2-1 on a flop push on his part. So basically it'd have to be a particularly horrendous flop, like Q92 all hearts, for you to fold it. You don't leave yourself with any options, and you have no room to utilize your skill advantage.

Your raise is in the sour spot as far as creating pot size goes. The only way I would make a raise that big is I was almost certain my opponents would shove over the top with a wide range of hands, but wouldn't call a push. But if they're willing to shove over a t600 raise, they're probably willing to shove over a t300 raise as well. The times they opt to call your t300 raise allows you to get away from bad flops, or stack them on good flops.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I starting to get it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so, but it's not like I'm so great at this game either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 PM

fwiw there's nothing more I like being on the bubble or ITM in levels 5/6 because my opponents don't stand a chance. Combine pushbotting with good postflop play...I bet I have a ridiculously high win % when I'm ITM this early