Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:25 PM

Default $22: ITM with AKs and > 10BB

Interested to know if you would raise or just push preflop as well as thoughts on the turn. If I had reads at the time I don't remember them now.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter

Hero (t2580)
SB (t1670)
BB (t3750)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t1700) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t2950 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1780 (All-In).
Old 10-02-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: $22: ITM with AKs and > 10BB

I'd almost definitely push preflop.

I insta-call the flop push, too.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:31 PM

I think raising and all in are both decent options here, depending on table texture. If you have been very aggressive up to this point I'd prefer pushing because many times you'll get a call from a weaker ace or king. The all in call on the flop looks standard.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 PM

I think the blinds are too small to push preflop. The flop is borderline, but I'd call.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:37 PM

I'm not averse to raising PF with your stack in this situation, but I'd raise to 500, not 800. You're putting in an awful lot of stack, which takes away most of the point of raising instead of pushing.

The flop, now that you've gotten to it in this fashion, is an easy call in my opinion, though I'm not sure what ICM says. I think you will usually find yourself with 15 outs twice here, and getting 2:1 I think you really should take it.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 PM

The preflop raise is too big, imo. I'd either pop it to 500 or just push preflop. Your raise puts you in a position where you basically have to call a flop push from your opponent. Fortunately here you have a flush draw to boot so it's a no-brainer.

Before you make any play, always consider what actions you'll want to take on later streets. Here if you're called, the pot will match your remaining stack...which isn't exactly the position you want to be in. If you make a smaller raise preflop, you can play the hand much more easily and profitably postflop.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising and all in are both decent options here, depending on table texture. If you have been very aggressive up to this point I'd prefer pushing because many times you'll get a call from a weaker ace or king. The all in call on the flop looks standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went back and looked. SB lost the previous hand to me when I pushed K6s from the SB and he called from BB with K5o. Does this change anything?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went back and looked. SB lost the previous hand to me when I pushed K6s from the SB and he called from BB with K5o. Does this change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the looser he is, the better a push is for you. Given that he is evidently a loose caller, I'd be more inclined to open push this and hope for a call.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:03 PM

I think you played it fine. You really don't want to end up folding the flop, so I like that your raise is substantial enough to build a big enough pot for a flop call. Pushing is also ok. I don't like raising much less than you did.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really don't want to end up folding the flop,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel that way, I think pushing preflop is a must. Would you really want to feel compelled to call a bet on this flop if one of those spades was another suit?