Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Career question

This would likely open up some other doors... you're better off asking this question to you career center though b/c I have little knowledge of legal career paths in business.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Ha, my Aunt just retired as Dean of that Law School (im serious).

Are you seriously posting for career advice? You have to be way more specific. Plenty of i-banks will bring you on, especially as an analyst. But that would be like first year law school (worse actually) all over again.

Risk-arb is a possiblity, but you prob need to know someone.

Your best route is taking the 150k (more or less depending on your gpa) from a private law firm for a couple of years. Meet people, then make the move.

This all being said, one of the partners at my firm went to law school. he soon decided that law wasnt for him, got a trading job in NYC, and now makes BANK here in SD, FWIW.

Good Luck.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Bob -

Here's the real story.

While not the normal path, you can go from law school to a job as an associate in the corporate finance department (advisory not trading) of a large investment bank. Generally people make this decision after their 2L summer when they realize they would hate being a lawyer. Even better would be to summer at one of the large investment banks like Goldman or Morgan to show more commitment to the path but you would probably cut off the legal track completely if you worked for an IB. IB's look for smart people who they can train and you'll be way behind the learning curve compared to MBAs or 2nd year analysts.

BTW, total comp in a large IB in NYC for a first year associate is $200K.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously posting for career advice? You have to be way more specific. Plenty of i-banks will bring you on, especially as an analyst. But that would be like first year law school (worse actually) all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this isn't the only font of wisdom I'm sampling, but you never know... If anyone needs more details, ask and ye shall receive.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Definitely start with the Yale Alumni Network. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that if you graduate from any Yale school you get access to the entire University alumni database, i.e. even though you went there for undergrad you could look up and contact graduates of Yale Law, Yale SOM, etc.

After, or in conjunction with, I would consult a head hunter.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:26 PM

That's how it works for my alma mater.