Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Which college should he choose?

Gotta give a plug for my Alma Mater. Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech is pretty good and is worth a look.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:50 PM

UT might actually be one of the hardest schools to get into on this list, given their overpopulation problems right now. But if he gets in, the business school is top notch. USC is no slouch in that department, either.

Also, a strong case was made on this board yesterday for Ohio State. I believe there's even a promotional video.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I took some time off after my freshman year, went to community college for about 2 semesters, and then transferred to Tulane (great [censored] place and warm weather too). New Orleans has got to be one of the best cities to go to school in. Tulane itself is not too bad either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, New Orleans USED TO BE one of the best cities to go to school in. At the moment 80% of the city looks like the back side of the moon. I believe Tulane plans to reopen in January. Most of the uptown area around Tulane did not flood, although Tulane did experience some flooding. Of all too much interest to Tulane students, the French Quarter is OK and up and running. But the city's infrastructure is shot. There is, for example, no landline phone service (the opportunity is being seized to install a fibe optic network. The mail is spotty. The cellphones are marginal. There is no sewage treatment on the east bank. There is no trauma center. The police department is inadequate (even by previous standards of inadequacy), and the city is being patroled by the National Guard--no one knows how long that will last. Much of Tulane's faculty has been laid off, and many of the rest are looking for jobs elsewhere. Who knows if they will come back? Unless a student actively wants to be a part of the rebuilding of a unique American city, I would give Tulane a miss for the next few years. BTW the Tulane student body is heavy on kids from NY and the mid-Atlantic who weren't quite Ivy material.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:23 PM

Don't forget about driving NE for about an hour and change to visit the University of Delaware. Not overwhelmingly large (17k ungrads), better than average business and engineering schools (overall the school was ranked #66 across the nation for public universities - a couple spots behind MD) and a very good I-AA sports program (take your pick with whatever sport). Your son won't feel lost, he will be an hours drive to Bawlmer (Baltimore), a 1/2 drive into Philly and there are no worries about work/fun during the summer...Ocean City, Rehobeth and Dewey Beaches are convienently close.

School is what you make it to be...my father told me I had two choices - finish near the top of your class and THEY will come knocking down your door, or, relax, do fairly well, party and you will have to go to THEM. I choose the latter and don't regret it. I run my own business and play poker for fun whenever I want.

Good luck
Old 11-04-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Uh, New Orleans USED TO BE one of the best cities to go to school in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 PM

I just want to mention if your son is interested in business, he should study a science and consider businss later, via MBA, etc.

Many made the point, you get what you want out of college. This should be discussed, repeated, rinse. Example, an undergrad here at U Maryland studied Math is now working on his phd at Princeton Math.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:51 PM

When you say Wisconsin...you've said it all.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to mention if your son is interested in business, he should study a science and consider businss later, via MBA, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely true. I think studying "business" as an undergrad is a very poor choice. Hard science and engineering majors are better respected, and have more options after graduation.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:05 PM

I havent read any responses but I go to wisconsin-madison and its a good school. It is a very active campus as far as sports and intramurals and just playing for fun. I would suggest he stick with business and stay away from engineering as it has shown in my experience to be much more enjoyable. This coming from a junior who started in nuclear engineering and switched to econ.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:07 PM

I haven't read any of this thread besides the OP, but it sounds like a big 10 school would be a big hit. Look into Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin.