Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Idiot proof AK from EP (level 1 or 2)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Follow up Q: what's with mini-raisers at Levels 1 & 2? do they have weird psyches, or are they just complete novices?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're just bad players. Say one or two people limp. Some guy with AJ or A8s in the CO will mini-raise (or put in a substantial raise) very often.

This is why if I have AK in EP in level 1, my standard play is to limp. If it doesn't get raised, I'm playing a small pot then. If it does, I'm coming over the top.

Contrast this to the standard play of raising with AK UTG on level one. You've given away the strength of your hand and even the biggest donks are likely folding hands that they would otherwise have raised with.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem i have with this though is that by not raising, you are letting hands like 67s beat you because you let them limp in as well as letting QJ, for examle, raise it u and draw you out on the river. Sure you most likely have the advantage against most hands, but without the raise, you're lettng them come in with anything and since at these low levels and low buy ins there will be alot of donks who will go to the flop with you with things like j8s and 54s because SUITED CONNECTORS RULE, it just seems to lse the edge that AK so often has...what do you think??
Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem i have with this though is that by not raising, you are letting hands like 67s beat you because you let them limp in as well as letting QJ, for examle, raise it u and draw you out on the river. Sure you most likely have the advantage against most hands, but without the raise, you're lettng them come in with anything and since at these low levels and low buy ins there will be alot of donks who will go to the flop with you with things like j8s and 54s because SUITED CONNECTORS RULE, it just seems to lse the edge that AK so often has...what do you think??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the pot goes unraised and multi-way, I will play a small pot. Not a big deal. But as in the game from the posted hand, often there are mini-raises after an EP limper so I'm able to re-raise.

But to answer your quesion, if the pot is 6 handed and unraised, I'm not going broke even if I flop top pair.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i never limp there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM

I think your line is interesting and effective in some contexts where the table texture is right. Personally though, I'm almost never all-in w/ AK in levels 1, 2 or even 3. This is because (while the pot is a nice portion of your stack) 100 chip jumps in the early game are not worth risking your tournament life; especially in the low level games. I believe this because, even in low level buy-ins, you are not going to get a caller unless they're KK AA and maybe you *hope* they have JJ TT or AQ. This is my experience at least. Where there are some people who are just dumb and would call this with TT/JJ/AQ, I don't think it would happen often enough to warrant risking your tournament life. That's just my thoughts on it. I would just start out raising and be ready to throw it away on the flop if I don't pair up. AK is not a big money maker lvls 1 and 2.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this because, even in low level buy-ins, you are not going to get a caller unless they're KK AA and maybe you *hope* they have JJ TT or AQ. This is my experience at least. Where there are some people who are just dumb and would call this with TT/JJ/AQ, I don't think it would happen often enough to warrant risking your tournament life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they fold JJ/TT and I pick up 120 dead chips, that's a great result.

As for hands other than AA or KK calling, I think you're way off. Weaker aces call with enough regularity to make this play worthwhile.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:29 PM

although I personally wouldn't do it in level 2 I think that this line would be okay in a low buy in. In level 1 I think that you're giving up a lot by now raising AKs in EP though.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 PM

I love this line and play it regularly with AK. But let me play devils advocate. What about reraising to 250-300 in an attempt to get more calls from hands you dominate or are favored over? Or do you lose more to the mid pockets than you gain from AQ/AJ/KQ?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 PM

This is standard for me at the 22s.