Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Default So im a new guy to Poker and oh BOY did I get eaten on line.. advise.

Ok here’s my story.
I put Poker to the side as some thing to learn and after reading a few books using Poker academy for a while and thinking I was the new Jimi Hendrix of cards I took my self off to my local (semi local its quite far) internet cafe.

Well I fired up my William Hill account, set my wall paper (desktop wallpaper) to a cut I took of the 80 shark hands, and then went about trying to play tight aggressive.

I don’t want to bore any body but I was tired after a weeks work (Friday night) and I just did not hold my own, I had a few periods were I played thought good poker (I think) and seem to go up ($50-up to $160) but then all to soon I started chasing the cards and hoping my card would come through then bang Id be down to $39.99, id tighten right up get a few good hands then be up to $60 then.. Oh enough of this.

I ended up leaving the next morning not knowing how I lost so much money when my pervious few visit were just so easy (real money yes!)

Here is a few of my thoughts.
- I played tight passive and when I did win it was never big enough and it just never covered my loses which were often due to my lack of Discipline

-I saw one user enter the room to my left to seats I think and any way he came in with about $20, he almost bet every hand he got (seemed like it) and the last I saw before he left about 40mins later was he was up to $400, people in the room were asking if he was cheating he was that lucky!!

-don’t play when you’re tired
-Know when you’re not playing good poker.
-Play with money you can afford to lose.

Now on to a couple of questions to all the great poker people out there, im real glad I can post here and have other people who I expect knows what it feels like to lose reply.

When I left that session I felt like death I could not believe how easily the money dripped out of me to other online players it was a joke, I felt like my insides had been turned inside out on one hand I lost LOL :-)

I am going to be buying a certain poker odds calculator shortly and from what I can see that’s what I need, I am used to the hand evaluator in the poker academy software that’s set to good tournament play from what I understand.

I know im a fish but Id basically like to be able to sit down and make a simple %20 every time I play, I think its wise to use said program in the real small rooms or even the play money rooms were people at least try to play correctly, this is were I think over time say a 6hour or 9 hour session I can try to drag it out and if I have a few fish come my way then I should by the math eat them.

I’m very new, I enjoy poker if you want a real laugh to rap this post off I am afraid of Texas Hold no limit I am not going near that game for a few years until I can have some sort of defence to the ripping I took, I am still nursing the gapping gash which once resembled an orifice.

I am thinking about sticking to the short handed (6) tables, playing it by the numbers the occasional manual over ride and flutter if I fancy it but I just don’t have it as a player of no limit poker, not yet any way.

Has any one got any general advise input or other I lost and lost bad, I don’t want to throw money away but I enjoy poker, no I really enjoy poker nothing else has grabbed my attention and raised my heart beat like poker, poker is sweet cruel and some times very funny, but most of all I Enjoy playing and enjoy the online company of poker the result can be seen with that tally that reads £--- or $---,

Flame away but I’ve shared and Id likes to read what others have to say.

Nigel
(Reader of insider secrets of poker)
(Watcher of 2003 WSP)
(Fan of the way jonnie Chan won the 1988 WSP
Old 06-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: So im a new guy to Poker and oh BOY did I get eaten on line.. advi

[ QUOTE ]
Id basically like to be able to sit down and make a simple %20 every time I play

[/ QUOTE ]

This will never happen, no matter how good you get. Within each individual session your results are largely at the mercy of what cards you get.

I'd suggest posting hands in the appropriate forums, and getting a decent beginner book -- Hilger's ITH and Jones' WLLH are both staples, and others have said nice things about Miller's new beginner book too. Good luck in your journey.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Default You may have picked the wrong site

I think the ring games at William Hill are much tougher than most. Try a softer game, ie. Party Poker, with worse players and with some talent and effort, reasonable success is attainable. I agree with previous poster though that an expectation of 20% profit per session is not realistic. That will never happen. Remember: Poker is the toughest way to make an easy living. Besides, it would be boring if we won everytime - no bad beat stories to tell.

Rock27 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM

If I was you I would deposit $50 into neteller and start playing the .02/.04 tables at PokerStars.

Buy the books
Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Holdem by Mathew Hilger
Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller
Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller

Read them in that order.

Buy Pokertracker to track your progress.

Read all you can on this forum

Become a winning player at the lower limits and build your skills and confidence. Move up in limits as your bankroll and skills increase.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:39 PM

Wow, lots here.

[ QUOTE ]
few periods were I played thought good poker (I think) and seem to go up ($50-up to $160) but then all to soon I started chasing the cards and hoping my card would come through then bang Id be down to $39.99, id tighten right up get a few good hands then be up to $60 then.. Oh enough of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter how well you think you are playing. You may play perfect, by-the-numbers, poker and still experience this and worse. The reason is that your opponents aren't playing by the numbers and, of course, there's luck involved. A 200 big bet downswing isn't unheard of. 100 big bets is common.

[ QUOTE ]

I ended up leaving the next morning not knowing how I lost so much money when my pervious few visit were just so easy (real money yes!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The sweet, sweet nectar of poker. She gives you good luck, good cards and good money. Then she slaps you down just when you feel good. You just hope she gives more than she slaps.

[ QUOTE ]

Here is a few of my thoughts.
- I played tight passive and when I did win it was never big enough and it just never covered my loses which were often due to my lack of Discipline

[/ QUOTE ]

While discipline can have something to do with losses, there are many other factors contributing to losing play.

[ QUOTE ]

im real glad I can post here and have other people who I expect knows what it feels like to lose reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone here who says they don't have big losses is lying. Just FYI, we've all been there.

[ QUOTE ]

I am going to be buying a certain poker odds calculator

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold it. What is you you're trying to determine? Just go to twodimes.net or get PokerStove, linked in the fact in my signature, to do odds calcs. There's no reason to buy anything.

[ QUOTE ]

I know im a fish but Id basically like to be able to sit down and make a simple %20 every time I play, I think its

[/ QUOTE ]

Impossible. Being results-oriented like this will lead to ruin. Poker is a long term game. There are no guarantees. If you don't understand this, you will lose a lot of money playing poker. I'm not kidding or just jerking you around, you will lose the entirety of your bankroll - at least.

[ QUOTE ]

I’m very new, I enjoy poker if you want a real laugh to rap this post off I am afraid of Texas Hold no limit I am not

[/ QUOTE ]

NL Hold'em is a punishing game. I don't recommend it for beginners, but some people love it.

[ QUOTE ]

I am thinking about sticking to the short handed (6) tables, playing it by the numbers the occasional manual over ride

[/ QUOTE ]

Another punishing game. If you play by the standard numbers for hold'em ring games, you'll be run over. Play a full ring game, 9 or 10 players, and move to another table if it dips below 7 players. I'm serious here. There's a reason live players start to sweat when a table goes short.

I would suggest you do the following:

Play at a site with very low limits, such as PokerStars. They have limits all the way down to .02/.04, I believe. Perhaps .05/.10 is a good fit.

Play limit hold'em. The lessons you learn in the good books will apply to these games. You can move to NL later if you want to get back on that horse.

Read Ed Miller's Getting Started In Hold'em if it's available to you. If not, then Hilger's Internet Texas Hold'em is fine. I just find Miller's much easier to follow and the advice is excellent. If you must, then Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold'em will help you. But try to get the Miller book.

Read it.

Start slow, play tight.

Try not to worry about the outcome of each session, but do record each session. You want to know the length, game and limit played, amount won/lost. Don't dwell on the results but do think about the hands you played and how you played them.

Post hands you have questions about in the Micro Limits forum.

Have fun. That should really be what the game is about. We're playing, after all.

Regards,

T

Beginner's Poker FAQ
Old 06-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: So im a new guy to Poker and oh BOY did I get eaten on line.. advise.

[ QUOTE ]
Id basically like to be able to sit down and make a simple %20 every time I play

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just not how poker works. There is a massive amount of variabilty associated with poker. You could be the best payer at the table by far - play for 5 hours - make no mistakes - and lose money.

You just have to move your focus away from the ups and downs of a particular session - and look at the much bigger picture.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was you I would deposit $50 into neteller and start playing the .02/.04 tables at PokerStars.

[/ QUOTE ]

My god, yes. We must learn to crawl before we can walk, walk before we can run and run before we can fly... OK, too far.

Anyway, slow and steady wins the race (have I reached my cliche limit?). Start at the micros, build your bankroll and experience while you study all those great books. When you're a consistant winner and have the roll to move up, move up. I'm sure I've read that somewhere before. Hmmm, but where?

JunkHead

PS I just kicked ass on Stars .02/.04 this weekend to the tun of 30BB/Hr. I'm off to the 3/6 tables!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy seems like he can obviously afford a little more than $50 for 'lessons', so I'd advise against starting quite that low. Ideally, IMO, a rank begginner should deposit $200 into paradise poker, claim the granny bonus for $100, and grind it out at .25/50- where the bets are big enough to sting a little when you lose a big pot, but small enough to keep even a bad player from losing a signifigant sum. the bonus money should pad losses or increse winnings, making the play pretty damn risk-free. Additionally, if a player does becopme a winner, they're gonna be kicking themselves for ever playing the nano-limits where bonus money cannot be cleared. even a breakeven player (gotta be pretty good to even beat the rake) can make signifigant ammounts of money chasing bonuses, probably to the tune of $600+/month on a 1k bankroll (party reloads and codes, empire reloads, cryptos, occasional stars and paradise money, sign up offers, affiliate offers, etc, etc...), and a total noob should be able to take $200 and turn it into a grand in as little as three months, assuming 30 hrs/month breakeven bonus hunting at .50/1... and BANG! you're profitable.

Poker is all about risk/reward, and those that risk very little will be waiting for their reward while those that risk just a little more will be making money sooner (or losing more, i suppose.)

[ QUOTE ]
PS I just kicked ass on Stars .02/.04 this weekend to the tun of 30BB/Hr. I'm off to the 3/6 tables!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

move up ASAP. (not to 3/6, of course)
Old 06-06-2005, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure. I only have a bankroll of 5,250 BB's right now at .02/.05. Maybe I should wait. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JunkHead
Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 AM

I read all of your input guys thank you very much.

Do you guys have any opinon as to what site has the softest or most losse players, I agree william hill is a bit difficult seems most the players on there are quite good!

Have a great day evey one and injoy the tables.

Bud