Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Pocket/SA knives

[ QUOTE ]
The kershaw is assisted-opening, which is about as close to being a legal switchblade as you can get - afaik. After a few weeks of working the action, it only takes a nudge with your thumb and the damn thing's available for use.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine's kinda like that. It's a real cheap one I bought at work (hardware store-made in China). But with a little silicon spray, a flick of the wrist and it's open. I use it for all sorts of stuff, like opening soda cans, cutting some random thing that needs to be cut, etc. (get the FYP over with already)

[ QUOTE ]
So, uh, yeah. I dont know how to fight with a knife, and don't want to learn. The knives aren't for the brown people. That's what the damn Glock is for. If I end up having to try to use the knives to defend myself, its probably over.

[/ QUOTE ]
I only know how to use the knife a little for actual fighting. I definitely wouldn't want to pull it though. I've actually had it on me at a few concerts and the stupid search people never feel it. I swear you could be packing a marine sniper rifle and a few hand grenades and some of these people would never be the wiser.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM

These look pretty cool to torture terrorists with.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 PM

I used to carry around a butterfly knife. That's because I wanted to be Two-Bit.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM

I carry a Leatherman around with me 24-7. I use it just about every day. The only problem is when I travel it's a bitch to hide and some times they take them.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:17 AM

Most of the things on my swiss army knife I've never used. But it has some things on it I really like:
1) Blade. Obviously useful.
2) Small philips-head screwdriver. This is great. If I owned just a little screwdriver, I would lose it, but the one on the knife I always have. Conveniently fits the little screws on the case for one of my computers. my computer case.
3) Bottle opener. 'Nuff said.
4) Corkscrew. If you are drunk and trying to figure out a bottle of wine, having this on you is nice.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM

It's bulkier and not nearly as cool-looking, but for practicality you can't beat a leatherman. I carry a 'wave' on my belt - I think its been replaced by the 'surge' which looks about the same. You'd be surprised how often it's handy to have a pair of pliers or decent little scissors.

Leatherman also now makes folding knives with built-in screw drivers, they look pretty sweet.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:10 AM

I agree the Leatherman is far superior utility knife when compared to the SA knife. I have the original which I purchased in the early 90's.

Leatherman also have great service. I once broke the plier using it as a wrench in an emergency. The plier was bent out of shape but actually finished the job even though I ruined it. I didn't expect them to replace it but they gave me a complete new Leatherman at no cost. The Gerber multi tool also isn't bad. I have a few friends, who work in the movie industry as armourers, who regularly abuse the Gerbers and swear by them.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 PM

I'd invest in a Gerber multi-tool long before I'd invest in a Leatherman, but I have exactly zero experience with Leathermans, and when I was in the service, we'd beat the hell out of our Gerbers and they'd keep doing exactly what they were made to do.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd invest in a Gerber multi-tool long before I'd invest in a Leatherman, but I have exactly zero experience with Leathermans, and when I was in the service, we'd beat the hell out of our Gerbers and they'd keep doing exactly what they were made to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used Gerber multitools exclusively. But the sad truth is the tools are too brittle. Plus those retarded clips they went to, to hold the push buttons with, keep coming off. I finally broke down and tried a Leatherman and I won't be going back. Like others, mine sees work every day. I use the Super200 which has work related applications.

I do like Gerber knives though.

I think every guy should have a pocket knife even if you rarely use it. The brands that slambound mention are good.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 AM

I like a small swiss army knife for the features mentioned and also one with the tiny pen and pincers. Those pincers have probably been the most useful to me for having to pull out splinters or hairs or what have you.

The multi-tool is also good with the pliers, but they are bigger and more cumbersome to carry around. The small ones with pliers are useless. But the ones with mini scissors are useful.

And for self defense, a fixes knife is better than a folding knife for sure, but benchmade makes a very nice and light folding dagger. Good to poke eyes out with.