Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Why it\'s good to have a tight table image - difficult decision inside.

Live 1/2, my first live game in awhile. 6-handed and I have ~$90 behind, villain has me covered. 2 limpers to me (1 EP, Villain in MP), SB calls, I check in BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked around.

Turn is a rag. SB checks, I check. 1st limper frowns at the table, grabs $6 worth of chips, and carefully places it in the center. On this particular occassion he has nothing. 2nd limper, who I know very well and have played a lot with, looks at first limper, looks at board, looks back at first limper, and very deliberately announces "Raise." Now I'm sitting there with a 9-high 1-card flush draw in the BB. But I don't think either of them have anything. Would my friend have checked a flopped flush last on the flop? I don't think so. At best he has the lone king. He raises to $20. SB folds.

Then, in a moment of clarity, I get the amazing idea to outbluff both of them. I shuffle chips for a few seconds, compose myself as best as possible, and raise to $50. First guy goes "PHEW!" and folds. Now it's on my friend, the second limper. He frowns and frowns and looks at his cards and back at the board and asks me some questions. I'm so confident in my read that I playfully joke around with him. After 2 minutes of sweating, he says "I just don't think I beat anything here. I fold" and flips AA up! I thank the lucky stars for my brilliant read.

Now, I know the 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is on top. Do I flip it over and grin? Or do I show both?
Old 02-05-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Why it\'s good to have a tight table image - difficult decision inside.

I usually don't like showing my bluffs but if you think you can get in to his head and the advantages of that outweighing whatever read he can pick up on you, then you can flip them.

normally though, I wouldn't.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Why it\'s good to have a tight table image - difficult decision ins

I'd show my one club and buckle down for a long profitable session.

Seriously, he limped behind other limpers with AA, flopped top set and found a fold? Hilarious.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd show my one club and buckle down for a long profitable session.

Seriously, he limped behind other limpers with AA, flopped top set and found a fold? Hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't show anything. Say "Good fold." with as straight a face as you can, and move on to bluff every scary board available. You don't want to do stuff like show the bluff to this guy, or show one card and have him wonder why you are showing only one. Don't do anything that could possibly get him to play you stronger. And bully the crap out of him. This is the weakest play I have ever seen. "I don't beat anything." Ha! He beats 90% of hands!
Old 02-05-2005, 06:01 AM

He was saying, in the context of my table image and my action, there is nothing he could beat. (And 99% of the time that's going to mean a flush from me.) You have no idea how tight I used to be live, and he hasn't played with me in a long long time. Few months ago he laid down middle set to my flopped straight. Then before that it was something else, top two to bottom set or something. I showed each time, because I used to think it was courtesy.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I showed each time, because I used to think it was courtesy.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's more than courtesy. It's smart poker if you can get him to lay down a set of aces later. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Why it\'s good to have a tight table image - difficult decision inside.

You know what I always say, SHOW AND TELL BABY!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 05:46 AM

I'm a huge fan of showing bluffs live. ask 'em if they wanna see it and then show them if they do. gets others to make pure bluffs while you're semibluffing and hammering your monsters, which is always nice.

did it today with 23[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] after coming over the top on a board of A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. bet out on a flopped flush a few orbits later and had the same guy I'd bluffed push on me with the lone 9 of the suit; when he realized he was drawing dead, he looks at me and goes: how come it dont work on you?

remember a friendly table is a happy table; a happy table is a gambling table; and a gambling table is a happy place for someone who doesn't.

fim
Old 02-05-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
remember a friendly table is a happy table; a happy table is a gambling table; and a gambling table is a happy place for someone who doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to steal this as my own wisdom amongst my non-2+2 friends and there is nothing you can do to stop me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- Trail
Old 02-05-2005, 12:02 PM

Default A smiliar story

I taught my friend how to play poker. How to play poker well. How to put your opponent on a hand, what hands are trash to a raise (Q10 etc). So we get into a pot, and I have Q10 on a J93 board with two hearts (not the 9). He bets the pot on the flop, and I call. Turn comse a 9, completing the flush draw.

He bets the same he bet on the flop, I move in for roughly a pot sized bet, and he folds A9 face up after much deliberation. Now trips aren't top set.. but still.