Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Importance of Table Image

I've been having a debate with myself about how important table image is in a typical SNG. Sometimes I'll talk myself out of making a likely +EV play early on if I think it will ruin my table image for later.

In a recent topic, the thread starter asked if pushing 750 chips on 25/50 blinds with 99 was a good play. My response in the thread was:

[ QUOTE ]
In my mind, the most important reason for NOT pushing here is to preserve your table image. With your short stack, you're gonna be forced to push/fold really soon. If you push here, I think it presents a table image that you are a crazy maniac that pushes with A3, K7, etc. You'll be much more likely to get called when you push later and the blinds are actually worth something. In general, I think this is not something you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts on this reasoning?
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Importance of Table Image

What buy in? It is important ...in the lower buy in's I don't think it matters as much as in the higher buy in's.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:30 AM

The most important player usually to maintain a good image with is the person on your left. You're going to be raping his big blind later, so I sometimes avoid marginal pushes in level 4. Later than that, it doesn't really matter at the 1lower limits, since players will not adjust their calling requirements correctly (they'll either tighten up too much, or start making horrendous calls). Just watch out for the maniacs who'll call with K8o, and abuse the weak tight players looking to fold into the money.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What buy in? It is important ...in the lower buy in's I don't think it matters as much as in the higher buy in's.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about the $50-200's... where some of the people actually know what they're doing...
Old 07-04-2005, 03:11 PM

In the few $109s that I've played it seems like table image is almost less important than in the $55s. There are a lot more good players at the $109s and they recognize that almost everyone is going to be pushing with crap once the blinds get big regardless of earlier play.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the few $109s that I've played it seems like table image is almost less important than in the $55s. There are a lot more good players at the $109s and they recognize that almost everyone is going to be pushing with crap once the blinds get big regardless of earlier play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya that was kinda what I was getting at... I was wondering if my table image considerations were even necessary given that most people probably wouldn't notice/care anyways.