Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: WTF Bet... How often am I ahead here? (Stars $150)

Do people actually play strong hands like this? I doubt it. That being said, you still have to fold.
~Justin
Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do people actually play strong hands like this? I doubt it. That being said, you still have to fold.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Do reasonable people play any hand like this? Myabe he's thinking he's pulling the "bluff of the century" with KQ, but maybe he's thinking "I'm sick of my QQ getting sucked out on when I limp preflop, so I'm going to be bet huge" either way he probably sucks and I dont think its worth it to risk half your stack to figure it out.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this makes no sense. I often get confused in a spot like this and stick in my stack.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this makes no sense. I often get confused in a spot like this and stick in my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does that make any sense?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You only have invested 2BB in this pot and you're facing a 12BB bet. you better be right A LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be right exactly 50% of the time. Do you see why?

I'd call and lead a safe-ish turn. I think you have the best hand but in any event he'll let you know with his turn action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry could someone explain that statement? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are, or are very likely to be HU so it doesnt matter how much he is putting in the pot because if you are right half the time or better, you're good. Youre banking your hand is better than his right now...
Old 10-29-2005, 03:18 PM

Well... Justin said 'Who plays big hands like that?' and I said that some of the time I think the same way and stick in my stack.

That makes sense, right?

-Jason
Old 10-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Whatever. It makes no sense to stick in your stack because you are confused.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:26 PM

... Confused means in this context that often times there are opponents who will not bet better hands like this. So I'm often confused as to what they have, but am sure its not a better hand. Most of the time they show me some sort of draw or pair and draw when I decide to commit to the hand.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 PM

Although it shoudln't cause too much worry, you do have 2 players to act behind you, including the big blind, no matter what you do.

I think I'm inclined to play this hand, which means get as many chips in the pot as possible. Given the overbet of the pot, the best way to do that is to just raise. I think I'd raise to 750 and push any turn (although I would hate any of ace, 4, 6).

As for his hand, I think the most likely candidates are 66-TT (I think someone who makes this bet on the flop probably raises JJ+ preflop), and 2 pair. Those are the hands that need protection the most. With hands like pair + straight draw, he might play them strongly, but overbetting the pot makes no sense. And with a set or made straight, again, you might make a pot sized bet, but a triple pot bet again makes no sense. You're well ahead of the small overpair, 2 pair range, which I think is what I would put him on, so I would try to get him to stick it in.

Pokerstoving 99 vs TT-66, 52s - 53s, 32s gives you a 58/42 advantage in the hand. If he can actually have offsuit 2 pairs, then you're behind 47/53. Obviously adding in sets hurts, but adding in pair + straight draws helps. It all depends on what you think he can make this play with.