Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 AM

Default chip-dumping?

I read in the regulations of UltimateBet that chip-dumping is prohibited.
What does chip-dumping mean?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: chip-dumping?

online, it's simply where you use a table to pass chips from 1 player to another:
example :
preflop: bet-raise-raise-cap
flop : bet-raise-raise-cap
turn : bet-raise-raise-cap
river: bet-raise-raise-fold ,repeat

this isn't allowed
Old 07-09-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read in the regulations of UltimateBet that chip-dumping is prohibited.
What does chip-dumping mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
Transferring money to another player by intentionally losing. In its most blatant form the money is put in play at a heads-up no limit table. Then you go all in on the first hand when you know that you will lose. Voila, your friend, other account, or person you owe money to now has your money.

Common Use #1: Deposit money with stolen credit card, bad e-check, or similar fraudulent device. Dump money to another account. Quickly withdraw. Leave poker room stuck with resulting loss.

Common Use #2: Steal someone's password and loot their account.

Common Use #3: Money laundering. Criminals and terrorists transfer money without being traced.

Poker rooms watch carefully for chip dumping. The normal penalty is permanent banning and loss of all funds on deposit. Never dump chips. You might be better off being caught colluding.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:41 PM

Common use #4: In NL play, to give friend large cheap lead to better dominate the table and get an unfair advantage over others playing with 'normal' chip stacks.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:35 AM

In cash games that's not an advantage. I can't bet more than what you have in your stack.

The purpose of buy-in caps isn't to keep good players from buying a lot; the purpose of buy-in caps is to protect the bad players from buying in for their entire bankroll and then blowing it all at once, thus making the game tough, thus making it more likely to break, thus screwing the house out of rake.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:19 AM

I just realized you might have been talking about tournaments. If that's the case this is a legitimate concern, though not as much as some might think (your "team" still had to pay for all those chips, so if you just dump all your chips to your friend on the first hand he has to have an EV more than 2x that of someone with similar skills who just bought in and didn't cheat)
Old 07-10-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In cash games that's not an advantage. I can't bet more than what you have in your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might not give you a statistical advantage, but if you’re playing at a nl $1000 table and most players at a table have right around $1000 in chips and you have $5000 that’s going to be intimidating.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:16 AM

You mean to tell me you're going to collude just to commit the equivalent of wearing wrap-around sunglasses at the table?

The good players will evaluate your play more than your stack. And you want the bad players to be relaxed and more willing to call you when they shouldn't, that's how you make your NL money anyway.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 AM

In my experience people with very large stacks are just as likely, if not more so, to be extremely LAGgy opponents who went on a rush with a lot of crap, as they are to be good players who have accumulated their chips through solid play. If I see someone with a large chip stack, I am not intimidated.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:31 AM

I suppose that is probably the case, but I think a lot of players might not realize that and just assume that someone with 5x the max buy-in is really good and they will stay out of their way.