Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

You're reading the wrong sources. He's enormously respected in the martial arts world, and trained the top competitors -- Mike Stone, Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, and others. There is an enormous amount of material written by his students and well-respected martial artists who knew him as to the level of his skill. Wally Jay, Bob Wall, Jhoon Rhee, and Ed Parker are are a few of the ones we commonly know here in this country. Parker said something about Lee I always thought was funny and interesting: "Bruce had the biggest mouth in the world. And he could back up absolutely every single thing he said."

Bruce was never described as being less than an absolute fitness fanatic.

Bruce grew up fighting, a lot. Real fights, and serious ones. He had a lot of streetfighting experience, and some of the guys he fought were instructors in other styles. The guy he trained the most under, Wong Shung Leung, was a local celebrity who even at a weight of 100 pounds was never defeated in over 100 streetfights, some with weapons, some against multiple assailants. When Bruce came to America, he almost immediately drew the attention of hardened streetfighters and accomplished martial artists and boxers -- much larger than himself -- and wound up with them as his students. As Jesse Glover remarked in his book "Bruce Lee: Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do," Bruce insisted that students try to go all out on him when he took them in, to eliminate any unspoken questions about who was boss.

I don't know how you are chosing to call a fight "official," but the one with Wong Jack Man was a challenge match he accepted on the spot. If he lost, the conditions were that Bruce would close his school. Lee, a man with a quick temper and an enormous ego, was furious that he was insulted in front of his wife and students, and upon seeing Wong Jack Man's long list of proposed rules, retorted that his conditions were that there would be no rules.

Lee's school stayed open.

Twenty years later an article about Wong Jack Man cropped up in Black Belt Magazine in which he claimed to be able to put out candles from across the room by with his internal chi power.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:53 AM

Great info guys thx. These are nasty and they look so harmless. Pistols
Old 06-12-2005, 03:56 AM

Good post, although it's nothing I haven't heard. I also heard that Wong and Lee agreed to never speak about the fight. Then Bruce stated in an interview, "The son of a bitch was running from me!" He didn't name names, but Wong was furious. He open challenged him to another match and allegedly Bruce never responded. Of course it's all hearsay and I am too tired to find links.

Personally I think Mas Oyama would've killed Bruce.

Okay, I googled:

http://www.kungfu.net/brucelee.html
http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/bruce.html
Old 06-12-2005, 04:50 AM

Interesting link, though the claim that Man refused to use his kicks because they were "too deadly" strains credulity to the utmost. The fight lasting 20 to 25 minutes also seems virtually impossible. Describing Wing Chun as an external style is highly arguable, at best. And the last paragraph especially seems a snide and very personalized repudiation of Lee rather than part of what would purport to be a serious article.

Oyama was a tough S.O.B. to be sure, but I doubt very much that he had anything even remotely like Bruce's hand speed, closing speed and general footwork, coordination and timing, or hand skills, though he was probably more powerful generally and was very likely a better kicker than Bruce was at many points of his short life, was almost certainly far superior with weapons, and could well have been a better grappler and better at throws and sweeps.

Oyama was in nowhere near as good physical condition, from the photos I've seen. But Bruce didn't have the kind of build and stature that could absorb blows all day and night; I'd give Oyama the edge there.

Just my reading, of course. I think it might have made for an interesting fight between two enormous, hell-bent egotists, neither of whom could even conceive of losing. God forbid Oyama land many solid blows, but I think he'd have a hell of a time trying to do it, and would be hard-pressed not to be absorbing some himself. Bruce's closing speed became the core of his fighting style, because he knew he couldn't stand around trading punches with Americans who outweighed him by 80 or 100 pounds even as teenagers. I doubt he'd be stupid enough to slug it out with Oyama, but if it got into a slugfest or good "ring generalship" got Bruce cornered, Oyama's chances would skyrocket.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:28 AM

Old 06-12-2005, 06:58 AM

25 burning pushups ... 255 lbs

back when I was 200 I did 70+

We had saturday morning football practice when I was a sophomore in high school. We would meet out in the middle of the track and we would go into groups (ball handlers on offense, lineman offense and defense, linebackers, d-backs) I was Will Linebacker. Whoever did the most in each group was exempt from running the mile around campus. I was so lazy that I would always win the pushup contest just so I didn't have to run.

I did something similar to this when I was lifting for high school football. We had summer workouts that were mandatory to attend. We had to check in to verify we were there every day. I was so lazy that I would just go in and max-out on bench press everyday then leave. I was at 240 and 2 months later I was pumping out 285 (with my squat at 315 lol). I'm excited to see my results in this in a few weeks.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-12-2005, 09:22 AM

man, don't push-ups belong to the nineties..
Old 06-12-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do as many of these as possible. Thx that is all.