Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Psychological barriers

Anyone ever not move up to the next limit because psychologicaly they couldn't handle the amount of money being bet at that level?

I wonder if there are any proven winners at a paticular level that don't move up in stakes even tho they could beat the next level and they are a proven winner at their current limit.

Some people slowly ease their way into the next level until they get used to the higher stakes, but I wonder how many people don't move up because they can't handle the higher stakes period.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Psychological barriers

I won't play above 20/40 live for some time. I was destroying 20/40. Currently, I do above average. The problem was I got killed playing 40/80--combined weak-tight and bad luck. The money seemed too real to me at that point and 3 out suck-outs that saw $800 plus moving the other way put me off my kilter. I will not move up that high again until that amount of money means little to me.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:17 PM

I once lost 3 grand in a night. I wanted to vomit. As time goes on, you get used to it.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever not move up to the next limit because psychologicaly they couldn't handle the amount of money being bet at that level?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the reason that such high bank rolls are always suggested when someone moves up in limits. Until the money does not matter to you, you will not be able to play well enough to survive.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:41 AM

A guy I used to play with at 2-4 NL was good and never wanted to move. He didn't want to risk the money. Nothing wrong with this. Just be honest with yourself about why you play and what your goals are, then make the obvious decisions.

If you do want to move and are freaked about the money, then overroll yourself and take the plunge with a lower buyin or something. The bottom line is that you can't win if you are thinking about the money in terms of it's real-world value.

Funny, I just moved up to 3-6 NL and made 2,800 in 2 hours a coupla nights ago. Normally, I never talk to my wife about wins or losses because I don't want that to be the focus for me (she's very supportive, BTW). But I was so psyched that I told her. Then the next night I played like a superdonk and lost 700 back. I told her about this and she turned grey. We then decided that our policy was a good one... so we're not going to talk about it any more. Losing 700 pisses me off (cuz I played bad), but it's not the end of the world. But 700 is A LOT of money when considered in real-world terms. Ove time, I've been able to separate the numbers from my poker game from the numbers of real-life money. This is the ideal.

Good Luck,

Marlow
Old 09-22-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if there are any proven winners at a paticular level that don't move up in stakes even tho they could beat the next level and they are a proven winner at their current limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say I'm in that boat. I've been beating the 11 SNGs consitently for a while now, but I haven't moved up yet even though I've got the bankroll.

Part of the reason is that I just play to unwind after work, and I feel like the higher stakes might turn my nice relaxing hobby into something stressful. I know I am most likely costing myself money with this attitude. At some point in the future I'll have to decide if I really want to take on the challenge of making more than just a little extra spending money from this game. But right now I like the 11s - I still enjoy the competition of the SNGs and I don't get bummed out when I lose a few in a row because the stakes are so low.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM

I think you have to play at a level where it hurts a little to lose for you to be effective. I just can't concentrate when I move down and goof around. FEAR is a great motivator.