Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Default 99 hand - where did I go wrong?

I'd appreciate some feedback on this hand. Hands like this make me realise how much I've got to learn, and being out of position really sucked.

Personally think PF and flop are fine. I dont like my bet on the turn, but I don't really know what else I could have bet without becoming pot committed. By the time I get to the river I don't really know what I'm ahead of so decided to check-fold.

Like I said I'd really appreciate ideas on how I could have played this differently, if you feel I played it wrong.

No reads on villian.

Party Poker $25NL, $0.25 BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($42.31)
BB ($15.20)
UTG ($24.75)
Hero ($25.70)
CO ($33.75)
Button ($51.67)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, SB (poster) calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, CO folds, Button calls $4, SB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($13.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Button calls $5.

River: ($23.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $33.25
Old 09-13-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: 99 hand - where did I go wrong?

nowhere.

this hand is fine.

people hit their flushes sometimes.

I might just check fold the turn. I mean did he really call your flop bet with something like 66 or 88 or a 5?

you aren't beating much on the turn.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 PM

I think you played it mostly well. You are correct to believe that you may have the best hand on the flop. Your bet on the flop was well suited to loose online action because you mostly want to pick up this flop now; however, the fact that it was called should be worrisome. You now have a situation in which the caller could be a dumb/tricky opponent calling with overcards and a draw, or could have a 4 or overpair. You then risked 1/3 the pot on the turn to get information on your opponent, and this is a proper play; his call told you he has something. Now, your check fold was apprpriate.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:51 PM

Note that if this were a tighter and tougher game you should have folded after your flop bet was called. However, in a tighter game you could have bet $2.5+ to accomplish the same goal.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I think part of my problem is I still struggle to refuse I'm beaten, so when I do fold hands like I did here I constantly think to myself that maybe I chucked the winner. This normally makes me somewhat looser and I end up making a dumb call when I'm clearly beaten or stick it in when I'm behind.

So much to learn.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments.

I think part of my problem is I still struggle to refuse I'm beaten, so when I do fold hands like I did here I constantly think to myself that maybe I chucked the winner. This normally makes me somewhat looser and I end up making a dumb call when I'm clearly beaten or stick it in when I'm behind.

So much to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I'm talking about in my other post in this forum. What is the difference between weak/tight and smart play.

I am starting to believe that experience will lead to the answer ...

This looks like a good fold, but if the hand were slightly different and HERO had QQ, and the river was the J, not A, would you call this river bet?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:02 PM

I think in theory you played it pretty well, couple concerns though:

Party $25NL you really need to open raise $1.50-$2. Sounds high, but look where $1 got you, 4 callers! At that limit people call $1 with 72s so you need to raise more. Flop bet is fine, I'm sure you had the best hand PF, there is a chance you could take the pot down. Problem is with 5 seeing a flop you got to be pretty sure someone has a flush draw or a 4.

Also, your turn bet was pretty weak, I see that as scared. I would give up on the turn as played against that many opponents. You really need to narrow down the field pre-flop.