Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: The ashes - fifth test time

Why would Australia accept the offer of bad light? Shouldn't they want to play?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ozzie have been offered the bad light and gone off!

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can STILL get better than evens on the draw!!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would Australia accept the offer of bad light? Shouldn't they want to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they could press on for a bit, but looking out the window now, fair enough.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:42 AM

Chezlaw and PartygirlUK,

Thanks for answering my questions. I definitely need to learn more about this game.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:17 PM

I gather the English tail wagged a bit - if not in the form of runs, at least in overs taken and time killed.

How much time was left before The Aussies took the light?
Do they try and make up for lost overs with an earlier start on day 3?? If so, it better explains why the Aussies would take the light. Otherwise, I would have thought that they - being the side that needs to win - would have pushed on unless it was really poor light. On the other hand, I guess they don't want to lose a wicket either and give England momentum that they now so badly need.

From the scorecard, it looks like Hayden played second fiddle to Langer which of course is just the reverse of the norm.

Finally, How did Collingwood look?

I see that cricinfo is already taking pre-orders for the highlight package DVD of the Ashes. Should be a beaut of a DVD. I have grown tired of watching the DVD package of India- Australia 2001 series after about the 87th time...lol...and could use a new one to watch.

My trip to Australia is now confirmed for next month. I will be at the Sydney test match (ICC super series). I am hoping like hell that Tendulkar (even if rusty and out of form) will be fit to play. 6 day test match too which should ensure a result.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gather the English tail wagged a bit - if not in the form of runs, at least in overs taken and time killed.

How much time was left before The Aussies took the light?
Do they try and make up for lost overs with an earlier start on day 3?? If so, it better explains why the Aussies would take the light. Otherwise, I would have thought that they - being the side that needs to win - would have pushed on unless it was really poor light. On the other hand, I guess they don't want to lose a wicket either and give England momentum that they now so badly need.

From the scorecard, it looks like Hayden played second fiddle to Langer which of course is just the reverse of the norm.

Finally, How did Collingwood look?

I see that cricinfo is already taking pre-orders for the highlight package DVD of the Ashes. Should be a beaut of a DVD. I have grown tired of watching the DVD package of India- Australia 2001 series after about the 87th time...lol...and could use a new one to watch.

My trip to Australia is now confirmed for next month. I will be at the Sydney test match (ICC super series). I am hoping like hell that Tendulkar (even if rusty and out of form) will be fit to play. 6 day test match too which should ensure a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

oz took the light straight after tea - rain didn't start for another hour. In theory they can make up some time but more rain is forecast tomorrow so its unlikely they will.

Collingwood bowled really well, menacing and unlucky that treskothick dropped a tough slip catch.

Have fun in Sydney, its the only test ground I've been to where ordinary folk can sit behind the bowlers arm. So much better than the usual square on view.

chez
Old 09-10-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have fun in Sydney, its the only test ground I've been to where ordinary folk can sit behind the bowlers arm. So much better than the usual square on view

[/ QUOTE ]

?? - ordinary punters can sit behind the bowlers arm on a large grass mound a short distance from a big open air bar at the cathedral end at the adelaide oval

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 09-10-2005, 12:44 AM

Default the sheik

[ QUOTE ]
its the Shane Warne show

[/ QUOTE ]

he has caught well - his batting has been sensational - he is the best at chatting up batsmen and encouraging his own team in the world - have i mentioned his bowling yet ?

given he has to be nearing the end of his career and plays like he has this series i'm going with the best cricketer since bradman

Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: the sheik

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its the Shane Warne show

[/ QUOTE ]

he has caught well - his batting has been sensational - he is the best at chatting up batsmen and encouraging his own team in the world - have i mentioned his bowling yet ?

given he has to be nearing the end of his career and plays like he has this series i'm going with the best cricketer since bradman

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me. Have to go back to Viv Richards to think of anyone in the same league - that would have been a fun contest to watch.

Re' the previous post, I've never been to Adelaide, one day if poker treats me well enough.

chez
Old 09-10-2005, 08:48 AM

Langer out and now more rain.

Oz well on top but ... greatest series ever heading to a climax late on the fifth day of the last test?

chez