Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Stud/8 hand I misplayed, two pair and low draw.

Learning stud split and loving the process, although I botch up hands pretty often. This problem is much more so compounded when I 3 table Holdem and play a stud8 table.

Basically it appeared both antagonists in this hand were going high, Seat 4's raise on 5th I interpreted as some odd two pair, and Seat 7 3 bet it which I felt was pumping his flush/flush draw.

My high hand is in obvious trouble here, but I figured that I had the best low draw out and a smallish chance to scoop. In retrospect, Seat 4's J doorcard blinded me to the fact that he could possibly be going low, so I overvalued that draw.

Any thoughts?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.40 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.20 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (12.20 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (15.20 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 hand I misplayed, two pair and low draw.

I would complete on third, but besides that I play it the same. If the guy with a J doorcard is really going low, than you write a note about it and slaughter the guy next time he plays some crap like (36)J You've got a great hand on fifth. The club flush is the only thing that scares me, but if is only on the draw you're in good shape. 6th you have to bet, you could have the best hand, not to mention low outs, plus FH outs. NH
Old 08-03-2005, 02:19 PM

Definitely complete on 3rd. This is a huge raising hand. If it was already complete, I'd reraise. All of those callers aren't going to fold after calling the bring-in. That's how you make money, by pumping up the pot when calls are likely and you've got the best of it so that calls aren't scary.

You hand was never obviously terrible. In fact it wasn't terrible in the least. You EV started at 40% and increased each street all the way to 79% on the river (keep in mind that this is against random hands and the flush draw guy isn't a random hand. Bet bet bet. You played it well except for the missed raise on 3rd and possibly a reraise on 5th (though with the flush raising I might save my raise for a sign of weakness).
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 PM

Third street is definitely worth completing. You have a lot of dead middling cards limping in. You have an excellent low draw with an Ace. Get some money in there.

Fourth is a clear bet. So is fifth, but when it's two bets back to you, I think I'd just call. You don't really want to lose the guy behind you.

I don't understand the bet on sixth. The guy who three-bet fifth street appears to have a flush. You only have one more card to make a hand. I would check and call here. Bet the river and be prepared to jam.