Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Random Rant

Just got back from a game at a stag and I need to rant into cyberspace about it because my girlfriend doesn't know what I'm talking about.

First I didn't know the prospective groom. A long time friend of mine knows the father of the bride and talked me into buying a ticket for $65. Included open bar and a very nice meal. Worth the price.

A cpl. scantily clad bimbos were selling the standard raffle tickets and I parted with another $40. No big deal.

There was one poker table and they had hired a dealer. My friend and I along with someone else he had brought along skipped dessert to ensure a seat at the table.

The dealer had one deck of cards and it was severely marked. I mean pieces were missing off the backs of some cards. Luckily one of the raffle prizes was a poker table with chips and cards so the best man borrowed the deck from the prize and the game got under way.

The dealer had a severe shortage of chips and only two denominations - $2 & $5. The game was therefore 2/5 with 2 $2 blinds. Whatever. I can adjust.

Turns out there was no need to skip dessert because the most players we ever got at once was 7 and therefore the chip shortage was a nonfactor.

Anyhow I was just there to have fun at those stakes and found someone on my right at one point who was also into straddling. We did a cpl dbl straddles until he busted out.

Shortly after that I straddled alone UTG and when it came back to me I raised as per usual. Now the idiot my friend brought along objects and claims I can't raise myself. I point out that it's a live straddle and we have been doing it all night. He still objects and the dealer backs him up. It is now against the rules to raise yourself. They have never heard of this straddle thing.

This pisses me off severely as I have been playing half my hands blind as it's only 2/5 and I was just trying to have fun. I mean I didn't expect to make a lot of money at this game - the rake is 10% with no cap so that the groom can take home some cash. But now not allowed to even have fun I guess I have to start looking at my cards and play some poker.

It is about this time the bimbos start calling the numbers for the raffle prizes. I glance at my series of tickets and note that I have from 868029 through 868087 or something like that. About the 3rd number called is 868047 so I know I'm a winner and shout out Bingo from the back of the room where the poker table is. As I get up and extract the tickets from my pocket I see some old guy go up and claim my prize. I pass him as he goes back to his table with my prize and tell one of the bimbos that I am the winner. She says "we're on the next number already". I ask what the last number was and she finally produces the other half of my ticket. I ask if she checked old guy's ticket and she claims she did. I put my half with the correct number right next to her half and ask again "are you sure?" "That's weird" she says and the best man steps in and gives me a bottle of Chianti.

Anyhow I won $70 at the poker table plus the wine for a net loss of about $15 and a Friday evening.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Random Rant

How utterly worthless.

If I was your girlfriend, I would have slapped for listening to such an inane rant.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:56 PM

C'mon, Sykes, give fyodor a break. Sounds like fyodor was pretty loose with his wallet here and all he wanted for his money was a good time, and he was frustrated with the value for that money.

Is it so much to ask that the right person win the raffle, or that a game raked at 10% with no cap is run by a dealer who knows the rules and has decent equipment?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Really. I haven't been playing long and have only started looking at this forum but I doubt if I'll stay. You can't post anything on here without somebody replying with some sort of cutdown or attempt at belittling you for something you said.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 AM

Welcome to the internet
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 AM

Shitty post= You get bashed. We're all here to improve our games and the idea is to keep the posts worth reading, not complain.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shitty post= You get bashed. We're all here to improve our games and the idea is to keep the posts worth reading, not complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy wanted to express his feelings on how a home game was run to people who have been to more than a couple themselves. How is Home Poker not a good place for this?

Granted,
<ul type="square"> [*] the post title is not at all informative or inviting [*] in some ways the post is the equivalent of a bad beat post in the strategy forums, which definitely does not contribute to the quality there. [/list]
However, this post easily could have sparked a longer thread regarding this bachelor party game: has anyone else played in a game like this intended to "raise money for the groom"? how about another structure, like one where everyone's buy-in included a vig that would buy the groom some chips? who the hell runs a game without knowing the rules and having decent equipment?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:47 AM

I thought it was clear from the title and first line that I was upset about something and just wanted to bitch about it where someone might understand what I was bitching about. If after reading the title and the first line anyone wanted to read further, I felt they would already have a halfassed idea of what they were in for.

I fully expected some responses like the first but I didn't care. I didn't even care if anyone else agreed there was reason to be upset. I just felt like bitching and this seemed like the best place given the circumstances.

The raffle ticket thing would have been just plain funny to me if it hadn't come right on the heels of live straddling getting banned. The dealer being an unprepared idiot wouldn't even have bothered me on it's own.

What got me was that I was having fun at low limits. The bigger the pot, the more the groom got. I didn't even know the groom. I was playing half my hands blind from beginning to end. Then some tight nit who thinks he's going to get rich in this game wants to see a cheap flop and complains.

What poker planet is he from? He's upset I'm throwing money around without looking at my cards? Whatever.

btw If you are opposed to someone bitching on the internet, I don't know that it's all that effective to bitch about it.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What got me was that I was having fun at low limits. The bigger the pot, the more the groom got. I didn't even know the groom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where was this? Is this a common practice there? I have been to plenty of bachelor parties, and although I agree whole heartedly that the groom should not have to take a single dollarout of his pocket for anything, I have not seen the bacehlor party as a way to fund a gift for the guy.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:24 AM

I'm in Canada. It was a lot commoner when I was younger. Rent a hall. Sell drinks and raffle tickets. Play games of chance (and poker) All profits go to the groom. While the guys are at the "Stag" the girls are having a "Shower".

Lately it has been common to combine the two events into a "Shag" or a "Stag and Doe" or whatever. Different regions - different names.