Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: QQ - Raise/fold the turn

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I think that it's pretty rare that we are going to get three-bet by anything but a straight here

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not certain I agree. The way Hero played this hand it's pretty clear to the Villain that he has only a big pocket pair, and any 2 pair or set is good. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

This part depends entirely on whether or not UTG has any idea what he is doing. You'd be amazed how often in live games (including at the 15/30-30/60 level I was playing over the weekend) you'll hear players comment that "I thought you had XX" when even the most basic hand-reading suggests that XX would be basically impossible.

Your point is well-taken, though, and I think is a very good reason for why such a raise would not be well-advised against a solid and observant player.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 PM

I think it's worth peeling 1 on this turn to hit 2pair or a set (if he has 2pair or a set) or to try to chop with a straight on board (if he has any of the before or that or an understraight made already).

Anyone want to twodimes this giving him appropriate 2p, set, and straight holdings?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 PM

can't the unknown villian easily be 3-beting here with 99-JJ? who knows, maybe he has a read on hero and is trying to make a play. raising the turn donk just seems to get us into trouble that's why I liked calling the turn. The raise-fold on the river was an idea from SSH, when you do not want overcalls, but I realize this would be a misaplication and given that this is likely WA/WB situation I don't think it is correct after all.
so what's so bad about a call down?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Evan,

I don't like it because it's very easy for UTG to 3-bet two pair and also possible when you raise that he knows it's with the intention of folding to a 3-bet. I mean...it's pretty obvious to a thinking player. However, I'm sure that's giving UTG way more credit than he deserves. So, I don't think it's terrible. But I'd much prefer to call down.

Chief
Old 11-08-2005, 10:17 PM

Really call down? Or call/fold UI? Do you think UTG is "making a move" enough of the time?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can't the unknown villian easily be 3-beting here with 99-JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he ever has 99-JJ here.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe he has a read on hero and is trying to make a play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's assuming quite a bit, don't you? I mean, hell, I don't even think I'd bluff 3 bet myself here...and I know me pretty well.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:24 PM

You're missing the fact that he can "make a play" with a legitimate hand that you're not that far behind while at the same time not realizing it.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM

An unknown...at 15/30...on a scary board...yes.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're missing the fact that he can "make a play" with a legitimate hand that you're not that far behind while at the same time not realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he has 2 pair.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Sorry to ask such an obvious question, but what is the turn raise supposed to accomplish? Are you just trying to get BB out? If this were a live game and BB folded out of turn after UTG bet before you had the chance to act, would you still raise? I'm guessing no. If yes, then I don't understand your thinking at all. If no, then I am wondering why it is so urgent to face BB with two cold that it justifies putting yourself in the spot you did. It seems unlikely that he would check-call the flop with AA/KK and let UTG hang around cheap on this board, so he probably either has a smaller pocket pair than you or, more likely, an AK type hand. With the latter, he probably doesn't overcall the turn anyway and with the former charging him two bets to draw doesn't seem that important especially since you could easily already be behind.