Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: 50-100 hand

[ QUOTE ]
looks like play will go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question that I hope one of you can answer.
GOG plays KKF HU right now (ok, not anymore, arb just joined). I don’t understand why they play.

They are both known as good players. But one of them must be better than the other (maybe just a small edge). I don’t know who is the best and I don’t care.

The player who doesn’t have the edge, should know that he is not the best player. He is good enough to play 50/100 and he should know when he is outclassed. Why does this player stay in the game? To learn? Ego?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
was I close?

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo thinks Im full of [censored] that I would call here with an Ace, I'm just pointing out that your analysis wasnt far off from my analysis. I had t9.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GOG plays KKF HU right now (ok, not anymore, arb just joined). I don’t understand why they play.

They are both known as good players. But one of them must be better than the other (maybe just a small edge). I don’t know who is the best and I don’t care.

The player who doesn’t have the edge, should know that he is not the best player. He is good enough to play 50/100 and he should know when he is outclassed. Why does this player stay in the game? To learn? Ego?

[/ QUOTE ]

GoG is Diablos boy, so he probably plays this game for reasons Diablo plays.

My reasons are a combo of everything you listed.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GoG is Diablos boy, so he probably plays this game for reasons Diablo plays.

My reasons are a combo of everything you listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

GoG is a punk little kid who happens to be a buddy of mine and plays poker for completely different reasons than me.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may or may not be the case here, but generally in the very high-limit games, everyone who plays thinks they have an edge. Obviously, most are wrong, but very few really understand the impact of short-term variance, especially in big, aggressive SH games.

The same guys often play each other HU and 3-handed in big games all the time (not just these, but LHE/Omaha/whatever). I think very few are doing it thinking they are a big sucker in the game. Sometimes that's true and it's three pretty evenly matched guys sparring a lot. But often that's not the case.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:19 AM

From my experiences in high limit games, the edges you are looking for are different than in middle limit or lower limit games, where you are looking for some live one that has no clue.

In the higher limits, most of the players can play, but can they play when they are stuck, can they adjust from a full ring game to being shorthanded or vice versa, or how tilt prone are they, etc.

Because most higher limit players tend to have a lot of self confidence/ego they truly can't be objective and that is where they get in trouble.

You will be surprised if you comprised a list of X amount of pros and had each of those pros comment and rate the other pros on that list, you would get completely different opinions on various players by various players.

Case in point, Ted Forrest is known for staking a lot of players, well I know a player that is on the conservative side but with great discipline, he couldn't get the time of day from Ted because he would rather stake a more flamboyant player that is LAG that could win more money but probably lose a lot more money most times.

I have played in 50/100 NL games with a murderer's row of players, I mean world class players, in which I have made some of my biggest scores ever in. Not because I held the deck or outplayed them, but because these world class players couldn't hold it together that session. It was flat out appalling at first but I have grown used to it the more I played in these higher limit games.

I have seen some funny things where there will be 2 players following each other to tables because one thinks the other is live and vice versa, when I think both are anything but live or both are live, it is hilarious and I have seen this many times.

The higher limits are a totally different culture.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:00 AM

In HU and short handed games I think some people have a significant edge but the variance is so big that its impossible to tell. I also believe some players will dominate some players but get dominated by others. I think its kind of A>B>C>A. Some styles work better vs some people. It takes a truly remarkable player imo to be able to beat everybody. I am almost positive such a player doesnt exist.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:54 AM

I think a check/call "must" be better here on the river.

If he you bet and he has nothing and folds.

If you check and call he might bluff with air.

The price for you is the same.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo thinks Im full of [censored] that I would call here with an Ace, I'm just pointing out that your analysis wasnt far off from my analysis. I had t9.

[/ QUOTE ]

am i missing something here? strassa said that if you call with AK you should call with JT. now you say you would call instantly with AK but you (i assume) folded T9? how is his analysis not far off from yours?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:24 AM

:-) i seen you on Full Tilt with 10K waiting for a game last night.

I think this hand is pretty good considering what you did, I mean hopefully you know enough about your opponnent that....

1. if he's trying to stop a bluff by raising on the turn and then you go all in on the river when the flush gets there and the board pairs, its pretty difficult for him to call you there. He must think that you can't possibly be bluffing in this spot and that you must have such a strong hand that he can't possibly call unless he has close to a nut boat.

You put him in a tough spot here.