Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Pocket Queens as Chipleader: Passive Play?

MTT $50 online event. We are down to 30 players from around 265 and the real money as usual is in the top few spots.

I am chipleader with around T24,000 in the small blind. Button with a stack of T14,000 raises to 900. Blinds are 150/300/50a. Big blind has around T5500.

This may seem like a basic question, but what is my best play with pocket Queens? I don't have a read on the raiser, he just joined our table. Obviously I won't fold, but I believe I can make a case for calling,
reraising, and pushing. If I reraise and lose the hand I will lose more than half my stack. Plus, by reraising I am making the pot larger and jeopordizing my tournament status. If I push I might pick up the pot or if I'm called I'm probably facing
AK, Kings, or Aces. Perhaps Jacks or Tens would call also.
So if I push and am called I'm in a likely coing flip situation when I am chip leader. I'm negating the Aces and Kings with the Jacks and Tens. Do I want a coin flip for half my stack as chip leader?
As weak as it seems if I just flat call I get to see the flop cheaply and don't endanger my chipleader status unless I like the flop. Of course playing this way goes against every basic poker belief I have.

What does everyone think?

Comments appreciated.

Bruce