Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Fold QQ here?

Villian has been at table for 1 orbit, so nothing to say about him yet.

100NL
Hero ~$80
Villian covers.

Villian SB
Hero BB with QQ

PF, 2 late posn limpers, SB raises to $8 , Hero calls , <font color="#666666"> 2 folds </font>

Flop ($18) comes: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets $15 , SB raises to $45 , Hero?

I've got just under $60 left. I dont think calling is an option so all in or fold?

Comments appreciated as I'm still new to NL.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Fold QQ here?

get the money in you'll see donkey's play 88-JJ enough for this to be profitable.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:58 PM

I think I would drop this. The only realistic hand you are ahead of is JJ, while you are behind AA, KK. If you knew he was the aggressive type I would be inclined to push, though, since he could be doing this with flush-draw + overcards or a smaller pair.

Dumle
Old 10-04-2005, 01:59 PM

I agree. However, I rarely see them raising these from SB against a couple of limpers, though. Or?

Dumle
Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM

A check-raise is always scary. I could go either way with this, but the more I think about it, the more it looks like your beat. What is villain raising a few limpers with out of the small blind and check-raising a flop with? My lack of discipline would probably lead me to shoving the rest in and pray he turn over 10s or JJ, but I think this is a fold.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian has been at table for 1 orbit, so nothing to say about him yet.

100NL
Hero ~$80
Villian covers.

Villian SB
Hero BB with QQ

PF, 2 late posn limpers, SB raises to $8 , Hero calls , <font color="#666666"> 2 folds </font>

Flop ($18) comes: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets $15 , SB raises to $45 , Hero?

I've got just under $60 left. I dont think calling is an option so all in or fold?

Comments appreciated as I'm still new to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot contains $78 and you have under $60 left. You are right that there is really no point in calling Villain's $30 raise and having only $30 left in a pot of $108. I'm going to fold here because Villain made a very good checkraise given my stack size.

Side question: does anybody else even consider checking behind on the flop? Never mind, checking behind sucks. The checkraise tells you you're either beat or are in a marginal spot against a good aggressive player. I'm outta there.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:20 PM

I think betting the flop is better than checking behind. It got me the info I needed - that my QQ was no good. Checking behind may induce a bluff from a worse hand but I wont know where I'm at and it'll cost me more.

Unfortunately I didn't listen, and pushed (KK) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At least my thinking was right, now I just need to actually listen to myself!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 PM

checking the flop is no good. too many scarecards can show up where if villain bets, you are confused as to whether he is betting because he thinks you have missed overs or because he actually hit his hand.

overpair on 2 tone flops with a checkraise from aggressive opponent with 100bb or more stacks is one of the hardest situations in NL holdem.

I think since its battle of the blinds though, I would call since my stack isn't even full and folding QQ as an overpair in battle of the blinds is rather tight.

I would also consider reraising preflop.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:34 PM

No re-pop with position? Your going to find out how strong his hand is, and get rid of the limpers with Ax &amp; small pairs. I guess your also going to get rid of hands like TT, JJ which you want to pay you off.

Your thoughts...
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 PM

This happens to me all the time. And I bet the flop just like you do every time. And it seems I get reraised like this... every time. And what do I do? I fold....... every time.

I hope we can figure out the best line. I've tried posting this hand a couple times but haven't gotten enough responses to come to a conclusion.